Thursday, November 19, 2009

Dancing over at Another Blog

I just guested over at The Film Experience doing a piece on one of my favourite films from 2001, Dancing at the Blue Iguana. Read it by clicking here. It stars one of the most fascinating trios of women - Daryl Hannah, Sandra Oh and Jennifer Tilly as strippers in Michael Radford's improvised film. It's not a classic film by any stretch, but it's a wonderful actressexual experience and its representation of Los Angeles is another fascinating thing about it. Sandra Oh is particularly fantastic, too.

It's one of the only recent films - the other being The Wrestler, I'm coming up blank elsewhere - that produces a good film out of the act of stripping. Showgirls, Striptease, Zombie Strippers and I Know Who Killed Me seem to have cursed this seedy sub-sub-genre. And it has a great soundtrack too! Bubble's "Sparkle Star" is a particularly inspired choice for a stripper soundtrack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

now I stay tuned..