Sunday, November 8, 2009

The City That Never Sleeps

I had never seen Martin Scorsese's After Hours until last night. In fact, the only reason I had added it onto my Quickflix queue was due to the Scorsese factor, and then as I sat down to watch it last night and the opening credits rolled I was struck by some of the names in the cast. It read like a roll call of forgotten actresses that need more roles, don't you think?

I would say my favourite was Teri Garr, but it's rare that Garr isn't my favourite thing about any movie she is in. If I were a man of other tastes I'd probably say Linda Fiorentino was the best for simply walking around in a bra for the majority of the flick. I'm not sure why Patricia Arquette was nominated for awards here (Independent Spirit Award and BAFTA) since she doesn't really do much other than act awkward, but there ya go. Catherine O'Hara is good too, but that's probably because she gets the best reactions out of the film's star, Griffin Dunne. The scene where he is trying to make a telephone call is priceless. I have known too many people who are like that who can't discern when people aren't in the mood for "happy" and "funny" and who then don't like it when others try to "bring them down". They're horrifying people.

The movie was pretty good, but hardly the "classic" that some people on my Twitter feed told me it was. It's slighter Scorsese - in case you're unaware, my five favourites of his are Taxi Driver, The Last Temptation of Christ, The King of Comedy, The Age of Innocence and Goodfellas - but even slight Scorsese it's always better than most other directors. B.

Can someone just cast these women in more movies plzthnx!


par3182 said...

in case you're unaware, my five favourites of his are Taxi Driver, The Last Temptation of Christ, Goodfellas, The Age of Innocence and Goodfellas

that's a lot of goodfellas love; how do you feel about the king of comedy?

Glenn Dunks said...

I kid you not, The King of Comedy is what I meant to type instead of that first Goodfellas. Random.