Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cinema Italiano


I noticed this previously unseen moment of Nicole Kidman in Nine as I watched the newly released trailer for the film, Rob Marshall's next that is out in January (Australia). It's a beautiful shot as one would expect from cinematographer Dion Beebe of Nicole Kidman, but after getting past that - and the other stunning images, particularly those of Penelope Cruz doing her lingerie-clad acrobatics routine and Marion Cotillard decked out viva Liza Minnelli in Cabaret or Catherine Zeta-Jones in Chicago - and made a realisation:

This trailer for Nine is, perhaps, one of the most important trailers in years. Not just because it's for a movie that I am very much looking forward to (it is, in fact, my most anticipated title!) but for the very reason that this trailer for Nine is presenting it as exactly what it is, a flashy musical. Musicals are "back" as we all know, but studios still seem terrified to even acknowledge their films indeed feature cast members spontaneously singing at the drop of a pretty, feathered hat (or boa, in the case of Mamma Mia!). Sure, they may feature the soundtrack, but rarely do they put their cast forward as singing and dancing machines quite like they've done with Kate Hudson and co here.


I recently got into a heated debate on Twitter regarded the marketing of Away We Go. I thought the trailer made Sam Mendes' film look atrocious and had no desire whatsoever of seeing it and others said I should ignore the marketing and give it a go. I thought this was a fascinating theory since studios releasing trailers to gain people's interest is a game as old as cinema itself. Yes, sometimes trailers can be poor representations of the film, but they're also one of the most common and trusted bellwethers of a film's quality. What the Nine trailer does fairly plain and simple is show you what you're gonna get. If you watch this trailer and think it's not your thing then I'm sure there's no point in you bothering with the film.

If, however, the idea of great actors putting on a ritzy - if perhaps over-designed (we'll see) - show filled with singing and dancing and Fergie's tits, exactly what this trailer appears to be selling the film as, then plonk down your $15 and get lost in "cinema italiano". I know I will be and I can.not.wait. Maybe I should wear a skinny tie and sunglasses as night (which also works as some sort of belated homage to Corey Hart, win win!) just to feel like I'm a part of it? Or maybe not...

Watch the trailer below.


Now whether the trailer is actually any good... that's a completely different question. I say "yes", but I think the "GUIDO!" bits should have been cut as most people won't have a clue as to what she's saying or why. I'm also not sure Hudson's "Cinema Italiano" is the best song to hitch a trailer on (but I am completely unfamiliar with the original songs so perhaps this newly written track is the best). And perhaps that rapid-fire editing is making it a little too hard for people to know what they're seeing (Penelope swinging on a rope, Daniel Day Lewis in general). We'll see... we'll see... That being said, I can't stop watching it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. The random yellings of 'Guido!' should be cut otherwise she sounds like shes having and orgasm.

But I so can't wait for this film and am so annoyed that we have to wait till January. WHy couldnt we get this on Boxing Day, instead of Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeaquel?

The other original song vying for Contention is Take It All performed by Cottilard, which is also on youtube.

Adem With An E said...

I am so excited for this movie that I can barely breathe thinking about it.

Fergie! Penelope! Loren! *dies*