Wednesday, October 7, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 08/10/09>

Couple Retreat - The only thing that looks remotely appealing about this so-called "comedy" is Kristen Davis. The only thing!

Julie & Julia - Meryl Streep plays Julia Child, a woman that nobody outside of America knows unless they're... 50? I dunno, but this piece argues the point I've been wondering about in regards to the film's popularity outside of America. Do people going to see this movie in Australia know that Streep is playing a real life character? Hmmm, not so sure. Also stars Amy Adams and Stanley Tucci (both of which have starred across Meryl in her last two Oscar-nominated performances).

Louise-Michel - I originally wanted to see this at MIFF, but now that I have seen clips from it I can't think of anything I'd rather do less this week.

Moon - The debut feature from Zowie Bowie Duncan Jones is this one man show sci-fi film with Sam Rockwell (and Kevin Spacey's voice). Looks very good and has been getting great write-ups since it's debut in America. Definitely needing to catch this one.

Whip It - Yes! I do believe this will be my birthday movie (as in next Tuesday). Loving the look of this and it's great to see all those women on screen, isn't it?

DVD Releases for the Week 08/10/09

Angels and Demons - I had literally forgotten this movie ever existed.

Crush - Aussie thriller about a guy who does tae kwon doe and a girl with supernatural powers. Or something. Such a shame that Emma Lung is in stuff like this when she is far too talented. Written by the same man that wrote Prey (see below), which is saying a lot. Antony Ginnane he is not.

I Love You, Man - Paul Rudd and Jason Segel. Yeah... I don't have anything to say about this.

Jonas Brothers: The Concert Experience - No long "The 3D Concert Experience" because, well, it's not in 3D anymore. In fact, the title on the page I'm looking at has "(2D)" after the title. I hate these twerps and I love how it has a 1.3 rating on IMDb.

Observe and Report - I wanted to see this dark Seth Rogan/Anna Faris movie in cinemas, but never got around to it. DVD it is!

Prey - STOP THE PRESSES! HOLD THE PHONE! The immortal film by Oscar D'Roccster, Prey, is out now on DVD. This is amazing news. This film stars Natalie Bassingthwaighte as a doctor trapped in the outback being hunted down by vicious raindbow serpents under the spell of a deadly aboriginal merchant man. Also, Miami Vice is in there somewhere. Or it's something like that.

The Pink Panther 2 - This movie is like the sound of someone hitting their forehead with the palm of their hand and yelling "stupid!"

The Puffy Chair - That "mumblecore" phase went by so quickly! What a shame.

3 comments:

FranklinBluth said...

errrrrr... excuse me!? Re: Couples' Retreat... Jason Bateman anyone?! Yum...

Joel said...

I'm actually watching Prey as I type... And wondering why...

RC said...

I hope you see Julie & Julia and let us know what you think about this film as someone who's never heard of her before.

I read the incontention article and hadn't even thought of her unknowness abroad.