Monday, October 19, 2009

Review: Natalie Imbruglia, Come to Life

Natalie Imbruglia
Come to Life

To be the ex of a musician is to play with fire. It lends your romantic foibles to be exploited for all to hear and dissect. And so, Natalie Imbruglia presents a fascinating case with her fourth album, Come to Life. There are songs on the album that, knowing her gossip column life, are hard to not associate with certain individuals, mostly that of ex-husband and Silverchair front man Daniel Johns. There are lyrics on Come to Life that feel like a stab to the gut. How else can one take the line from ‘Want’ in which she sings, “I hope you get all that you want / ‘cause I didn’t,” or on the poignant ‘Scars’ with, “I climb the walls / you hit the bars / you got your brand new friends and I got a broken heart.” Ouch doesn’t begin to cut it.

Read the rest of the review at Onya Magazine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stand out tracks are My God, Twenty and Scars. I love the sincerity of the chorus of My God and the hopeful but longing lyrics of Twenty. However, the album takes a turn for the worse with WYUT. Sweet Jesus on a stick, I don't know how this horrendous song made the cut for the album. One listen to this song was enough to last me forever. All in all, the album (at least the first half of it) still retains her gorgeous introspective sound. Although this album is a strange mish-mash of music styles (you're left feeling a bit confused by the end of it), I really quite like it.