Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Oh Alex Proyas

Alex Proyas has made one masterpiece - the stunning Dark City - and I even highly enjoyed I, Robot, but I can't defend Knowing. The main thing this film has going for it is its original premise, and I always appreciate a film having the balls to do what this one does in its final minutes. That doesn't, however, exonerate boredom and bad acting. I'm sure Nicolas Cage got a nice sleep while he was filming this here in Australia, but watching someone snooze on camera is only of interest to Andy Warhol.

I was all set for a wild apocalyptic sci-fi thriller, but it's not really that at all, which is a real shame. I think Proyas needs a return to a smaller budget a more personal screenplay like Dark City or The Crow. C-

2 comments:

Dustin Blechschmidt said...

What happened to Nick Cage, anyway? Granted "The Wicker Man" is a great drinking game movie, he really fell off the wagon.

elgringo said...

Remember when there were rumors that Nic Cage was going to play Superman? He's done more than fall off. I can't think of an appropriate term but it's worse.

El Gringo
He-Shot-Cyrus.blogspot.com