Friday, October 9, 2009

Gus & Mia

Gus Van Sant has become a truly phenomenal director this decade. Considering he started the decade with Finding Forrester there really was nowhere else to go but up, but not even I - a fan of his, including his much-maligned Psycho remake - could have foretold the direction his career would have taken. Works of art such as Elephant and Paranoid Park sitting alongside the crucial Milk and interesting experiments like Gerry. I thought his next film was to be The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test (written by Milk's Oscar-Winner Dustin Lance Black), but it turns out it will be something called Restless.

Australian actress Mia Wasikowska has scored the female lead role in Restless, director Gus Van Sant’s follow-up to Milk ... Wasikowska will play Annabel Cotton, a terminally ill 16-year-old who falls in love with a death-obsessed teenage boy. Ron Howard and his daughter Bryce Dallas Howard are co-producing the film for Columbia Pictures

SRC

While Mia Wasikowska is definitely on a role and I like watching her on screen, the idea that a Gus Van Sant film - queer icon that he is - being produced by Ron Howard is a bizarre and confusing development. Will Howard dull Van Sant or will it be the other way around? I hope it's the latter, don't you?

5 comments:

J.D. said...

I'm sorry, I knew I'm gonna love this at "death-obsessed teenage boy".

Ed Howard said...

I don't know, "a terminally ill 16-year-old who falls in love with a death-obsessed teenage boy" kind of sounds like a bad parody of a Gus Van Sant plot. Considering how much I've loved all of his recent features, particularly Gerry, Elephant and Paranoid Park, I'm looking forward to it anyway, though.

Glenn Dunks said...

Ed, normally I would agree with you, but Van Sant rarely makes films that sound good. Can you imagine explaining Gerry to someone?

RC said...

Wow - that certainly sounds intresting - I will certainly be interested in how this all plays out.

simbo said...

Sorry to be That Guy, but spelling correction - It's Paranoid Park, not Paranoid Mark.