Thursday, October 1, 2009

Glenn Finally Saw Up

It's been out for several weeks and this is, by far, the longest it has taken me to see a Pixar film, which I generally see on opening weekend. However, life has been hectic lately and finding time to see Up has been hard - much like it's been hard to find time to see Coraline and Ponyo, I've let my animation slip! - but today I finally saw it. And in 3D too.

I had told myself I wouldn't see it in 3D since it seemed to superfluous. Thankfully the price upgrade wasn't was horrifying as I imagined - the Sun Theatre in Yarraville is blessedly cheap - and so I didn't feel as bad as I have in the past. As much as I wanted to see it, I wasn't going to pay $20 to see My Bloody Valentine 3D, ya know? I ended up seeing that one on DVD without the 3D effect, but thankfully the same fate didn't fall on Up.

Not that the 3D in Up is particularly outstanding, but it was a nice addition. Unfortunately, the film will probably become the first Pixar title since Finding Nemo to not make my top five of the year. Don't get me wrong, the movie is great - everyone talks about crying during that opening sequence, but I personally ached for that final shot of the top of Paradise Falls - but, and I can't pin point what it is exactly, but I just didn't have the same reaction that I have had to Ratatouille, The Incredibles and Wall-E in recent years. Perhaps the film just felt a bit more "simple"? I dunno... don't quote me on that.

The animation is superb, but again I don't think seeing it in 3D is at all a necessity. I did love that freakin' bird, Kevin! In fact, all the characters were wonderful, although I found it strange that nobody mentioned the fact that the original adventurer would have surely been dead by the time these guys got to the jungle. Surely. Surely? By now you've read enough reviews of Up to not need my opinion so I won't go into it more, but there ya go. B+


jessica said...

I didn't think it had the same 'magic,' for lack of a better term, as the best Pixar movies.

adam k. said...

I felt similarly about Up. Also gave it the B+. You're right: Ratatouille, The Incredibles, and WALL•E were all superior. Something about this one just didn't quite do it for me. Maybe it was all just a bit too fantastical for my taste. And the beginning drama didn't quite seem "earned." But the climactic air fight was super intense and fun.

It's probably as simple as that this director is not as brilliant as Stanton or Bird. So there you go.

But I'd still have to give it best animated feature over Coraline and Ponyo... but just barely. I was not particularly moved by Coraline's story, and felt cold toward it sometimes, even though the animation was dazzling. Really. Dazzling. And Ponyo was pleasant and diverting enough, but I don't really get the "it's Miyazaki, and therefore it's brilliant!" argument that a lot of critics seem to be making.

Glenn Dunks said...

Adam, I hear ya on the opening being "earned". I'm not sure why everyone was saying they cried. We don't know these people so, if they did cry, it's a cheap cry. Death and such will do that, it wasn't really the film's doing.

See, I thought the director's prior Pixar title, Monster's Inc definitely had that "magic" (as Jessica says), but this one... I dunno. I really really liked it, but I just felt something missing. Maybe it's because the relationship between Carl and Russell didn't quite work enough? As if Carl just sort of suddenly decided he liked the kid because it was convenient to the plot?

Still not sure...