Monday, October 12, 2009

Dance For Your Lives

Don't ask me why, but I watched Dance Flick last weekend. The latest edition a seemingly never-ending series of spoof movies made by the Wayans Brothers. Dance Flick takes its aim at, well, dance flicks and is directed by a Wayans family member that I had never heard of before. As it turns out there are a whole lot of Wayans involved here that I had never heard of before.


Watching Dance Flick is an incredibly bizarre experience, since I always figured the target audience of these movies were teenage boys after a crass laugh, but what teenage boy watches dance movies (let alone seen one from eight years ago like Save the Last Dance)? The movie does everything to not appeal to young, horny boys. Musical numbers - not just dance routines - punctuate the movie, there are "spoofs" of Dreamgirls (an obese man sings "And I Am Telling You I Am Hungry", of course) and there are multiple scenes of men wearing tight exercise clothes. Really tight. There's even a moment where I thought there was going to be a bout of girl-on-girl wrestling, but they cut away. It all comes off as incredibly gay, actually, which is a strange occurrence for such a movie. Throw in Amy Sedaris

Dance Flick doesn't just restrict itself to musicals and dance films. No, if your movie has a black character then there's a good chance there will be a joke about it. Why a blind kid who wears a suit like Ray Charles is walking around here I'll never know. Or what about the bit taken out of Black Snake Moan? Little Miss Sunshine, anyone? Strangest still is Twilight, with a scene that feels so tacked on they might have well just had a narrator say "we included this at the last minute because the running time wasn't even 70 minutes", because that's the only reason I can think of it being there for.


There was one bit I found LEGITIMATELY FUNNY involving Kim Wayans' "Ms. Dontwannabebothered" (oh hardeehahah, above) doing some sort of vertical military roll down a school corridor. I can't really explain it (nor can I find a clip of it) so you'll just have to believe me on that one. I'd say "you'll have to watch the movie to see it", but I wouldn't wanna be responsible for that.

I really don't know why I watched it and I don't know why I am now writing about it. Just two of life's many mysteries, I guess. I wonder if Natalie Bassingthwaighte would like it? D

1 comment:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Are any of those Wayans real ? Not that it really matters , of course . The Art's the thing ... and I'm grateful to you for watching it for the rest of us . Thankyou !