Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Coincidence or Cosmic Amazingness? You Decide

In a strange, and yet utterly divine, coincidence I have spoken about both Gus Van Sant and Bret Easton Ellis. Today came news that the two are collaborating on a screenplay about suicidal artists.

I actually thought while watching Less Than Zero that if it were to be remade today that Van Sant would be a perfect director. The disillusioned youth "thing" would be ideal for Van Sant, even if he has been down that road many a time. Unfortunately, it appears that he won't be directing the film, but merely co-writing it with Ellis. I haven't seen Ellis' only work as screenwriter, The Informers, but I've heard it's bad.

Here's hoping it combines the greatness of both into something even greater.


seanisbored said...

The Informers wasn't great (I haven't read that book but I've read all his others and am a huge fan). I didn't like American Psycho either so maybe I just have a problem with translating his work from page to screen.

Gus Van sant can do no wrong however and is a perfect match to temper Ellis' styles that don't work on screen.

Dame James said...

Love Ellis. Can't stand Van Sant. At this point, I'm really not sure if anyone is capable of translating him to the screen. Harron's American Psycho was the closest we've come to fully-realized Ellis novel on film, but even that one had a couple of problems.