Wednesday, September 16, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 17/09/09

$9.99 - The first Aussie/Israeli co-production is this stop-motion animation title from director Tatia Rosenthal. I'll have a review up later today. It's probably not worth $9.99 worth of tickets, but it's got its charms.

(500) Days of Summer - I'm usually wary of movies in which young characters shop in vinyl record stores (as I've seen them do on the TV commercials, which, by the way, have been everywhere), but I still want to see this movie very much. It's got Joseph Gordon-Levitt, people! He wasn't enough to get me to see GI Joe or Stoploss, but I'm totally keen for this one.

Contact - New Australian documentary about the last Aborigines to not know about English settlement, as recently as 1964. Just won the Best Direction of a Documentary prize from the Director's Guild of Australia.

Encounters at the End of the World - Actually opened last week, but I forgot to mention it. Oscar-nominated Werner Herzog documentary.

G-Force - I hate this movie and I've never even seen it.

Imagine That - Eddie Murphy tries this thing again. Fails.

Shorts - Yup, you can certainly tell its school holiday season, can't you? Robert Rodriguez makes another kids film that isn't the original Spy Kids. That equates to a "skip" these days each and every time.

Valentino: The Last Emperor - Another month, another fashion documentary. The September Issue is still doing gangbusters at the arthouses around the country and now comes this American sleeper hit about Valentino. I think I'll wait for the DVD.

DVD Releases for the Week 17/09/09

17 Again - Pass.

Bring it On: Fight to the Finish - Why was I not aware that there was another film in the Bring It On franchise? Oh wow. Obviously the original is great, but all the sequels have been so incredibly awful in every possible way that they are actually amazing. In it to Win It was particularly hilarious.

The Last House on the Left - The remake of Wes Craven's classic original ("it's only a movie...") is going direct-to-DVD. While I'm not sure if I want to watch it or not (not because it might be "too much", but more because it might be "too shit"), but it's good to see the R18+ rating.

Lesbian Vampire Killers - Ummm... is it about the killers of lesbian vampires or are the vampire killers the lesbians? SO MANY QUESTIONS!

The Merchant of Venice - This film was originally released in 2004(!!!) and only received a cinema release here earlier this year. Now it's on DVD. Yay for catching up with the rest of the world.

Passchendaele - This Canadian version of an epic is directed by Paul Gross who was in that TV show Due South as well as that dreadful film Men with Brooms.

Salvation - One of the worst movies ever made in Australia (or elsewhere, really) is finally out on DVD. Woohoo! I particularly like that Video Ezy have confused it with an action movie. Would've been better if it was one.

2 comments:

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

A Merchant of Venice...now...

Well that's something that would never get a theatrical release here [Guyana] but it has been out on DVD a while. It's not bad actually...the girl playing Portia, in some scenes she is a dead ringer for Cate Blanchett [who was supposed to get the role].

Totally feeling you on GForce and Imagine That. I am so embarrassed to say but I saw 17 Again. It actually was better than I expected. There I said it:D

PS...Fireflies in the Garden is a fair film. It could have been better but I think it's worth the watch. Dafoe is good.

Guy said...

The vampires are the lesbians. Don't you feel richer for knowing that now?