Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Penelope? Is That You?

If Penelope Cruz - if that's really her, anyway - were to become a Dick Tracy villain based on this Vanity Fair magazine cover then I imagine her name would be "Paleface". Or if that's taken, how about "Photoshopped" or "made-to-look-whiter-than-i-really-am"? They'd work just as well, don't you think?

Making skin colour look lighter is a routinely common device used by magazines, or so I've been told. I guess if you're doing it to Beyonce - one of the true worldwide superstars of the decade - then you can do it anyone. But, Penelope Cruz? I mean, she's "white" isn't she? Like, I know she's Spanish, but she's still white in the sense that in Europe, at least, she'd be considered white like Judi Dench.

And yet here they are on the cover of a prestigious magazine and they've turned the contrast up to 13 and made her look like she's been soaking in one of those magical pod machines from Battlestar Galactica. I mean, if it didn't have PENELOPE CRUZ blasted across the front of it I wouldn't have even been able to guess who it was. Some new ingenue that I'm being told to fall madly in love with? And don't even get me started on what the photographer got her to do with her hand at the back of her dress.

Look, Penelope Cruz is stunning, gorgeous, sexy and smoldering hot. Take your pick. Just look at these images from inside the magazine and you can see the smoking hotness that is missing from the cover shot. Sure, the first shot also looks a bit ghost-white, but I'm more inclined to believe that's a result of flash photography than it is photoshopping gone mad (although I am sure that's in play, also), however, that is nowhere nearly as bad as the whitewashing they have given her on the cover.

Images via Awards Daily.

No comments: