Tuesday, September 29, 2009

No Offence to Robert Pattinson Intended...

...but he ain't James Dean.



I don't have anything against Robert Pattinson other than he doesn't make good movies - well, not since Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - but this photo shoot that I recently came across at Towleroad sort of irked me. I've made my stance on James Dean known before - one fine actor and the sexiest man of all time doncha know - and I always find it awkward when photographers try and dress whatever new-hot-young-star-that-is-popular-for-the-time-being up as him. Am I the only one who finds it strange to have someone like Pattinson dolled up a tragic gay alcoholic who died too young? Or are they just so uninformed on their cinematic idols that they think "James Dean! He was popular!"? It's very much like the Lindsay Lohan photo shoot when she was done up like Marilyn Monroe. That wasn't "inspired" or "art-imitating-life-imitating-art". No, it was actually sad. Lindsay Lohan equating herself to Marilyn Monroe is SAD!

While this photo shoot of Robert's isn't obviously taking its cues from a specific one of Dean's, I think it's quite obvious that they're putting him in that role of instantly-iconic-yet-misunderstood-young-man that James Dean played. I've seen him do the cigarette thing and that hair and those sideburns? Come on! I can almost hear the photographer saying "There's not enough loneliness in your eyes! LONELY! You're in a harsh and unforgiving world, Robert!" Because Robert's life of constantly being hounded by screaming girls is by far more troubling than being forced to closet yourself after your mother dies and you get shipped off by your neglectful father to live with other relatives.

Of course, it could have been Robert's idea and he's giving us a clue that he's actually a homo and that he wants to bone Paul Newman. I shudder to think that there are actually people out there who think Twilight is better than Rebel Without a Cause. Or East of Eden. Or Giant. "You're tearing me apart!"

3 comments:

J.D. said...

Well if these weren't the most depressing things I've seen in a month.

Scott Mendelson said...

Pattinson was in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. If you're counting his 3-second cameo flashback in Order of the Pheonix, then nevermind.

Glenn Dunks said...

No, you're right. Slip of the mind, I knew it was one of the later ones though.