Wednesday, August 19, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 20/08/09

Adam - A movie that looks as generically made as it is titled. Apparently it's quite pleasant and lovely, but that's generally not enough to get me enthused. Rose Byrne can be quite good sometimes, but I'm currently out of interest with Hugh Dancy who I thought was quite terrible in Confessions of a Shopaholic (a movie I watched just last weekend).

The Cove - Well-received documentary about the slaughter of dolphins in Japan.

Dance Flick - Is it wrong that I get a chuckle out of the "Fame" reworking from the ads for this dance spoof? Other than that it looks dreadful.

Eden is West - Costa-Gavras' latest film.

Inglorious Basterds - Yes! This is a much better release date for the latest Quentin Tarantino film than the one Australia got for his last film, Death Proof, which came out over half a year after it did in America (in its Grindhouse form). Can't wait to see this one, how about you?

The September Issue - Documentary that goes behind the scenes of the famed "September Issue" of Vogue magazine.

Subdivision - This movie has just sort of... been there, hasn't it? I don't even remember reading anything about it in the past year and now it's released (and only in Queensland and New South Wales?) Hardly surprising that it's not that good. The first of many indicators was that the premiere of its poster was on Wikipedia. Er. And then it wasn't even submitted for the AFI Awards. It's a shame though since it's from director Sue Brooks who made the sublime Japanese Story as well as Road to Nhill and it has a fine cast.

Three Blind Mice - The best Australian film since Noise in 2007 finally gets the most limited of releases. It's out in Melbourne today and from next week it screens on Friday nights at the Chauvel in Sydney. Truly baffling and sad.

DVD Releases for the Week 20/08/09

Baby on Board - This is just the first direct-to-DVD film starring John Corbett this week! Also stars a bunch of other soon to be direct-to-DVD veterans such as Heather Graham, Lara Flynn Boyle and Jerry O'Connell.

Borderland - I've never heard of this either.

Bottle Shock - Some movie about wine? Does anybody care?

Dean Spanley - A film from Enzed starring Sam Neill, Bryan Brown, Jeremy Northam and Peter O'Toole.

Elegy - Isabel Coixet's beautiful film that features a jaw-dropping Penelope Cruz performance. She truly blew me away. It would have definitely been in my top ten from 2008 (really? will I ever do that list?) I have a strong urge to rewatch it now just to prove to myself that I really did like it as much as I did (I loathed Coixet's My Life Without Me so much that I thought I'd never be able to remain objective about a movie from her ever again!)

I Hate Valentine's Day - A dismal-looking movie starring a far-too desperate Nia Vardalos and John Corbett. This is going direct-to-DVD, which is actually quite surprising since My Life in Ruins has been a minor hit here theatrically (it's still in release).

The International - Clive Owen and Naomi Watts run around the Guggenheim with guns. Next.

The Lucky Ones - I feel like I've heard of this movie before and yet... no.

Pride and Glory - Ed Norton and Colin Farrel play policeman brothers. Next.

The Pink Panther 2 - Just next.

Also, the second season of Man Men has been released! Woohoo! I'm totally going to have to buy that soon although I am just about to start season three of Battlestar Galactica so I'm unsure as to when I'll find the time!

2 comments:

Dame James said...

I think it's interesting how we can have polar opposite reactions to the same performance. I really enjoyed Hugh Dancy in Shopaholic and thought he was a better than average leading man than we're used to in these sorts of things. Adam actually looks sort of interesting to me because I have a thing for movies with emotionally disconnected males.

adam k. said...

You're finally watching Battlestar??? YES.