Thursday, August 6, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 06/08/09

Beautiful Kate - It's amazing how much goodwill an actor can have if they have a few really noteworthy roles and don't turn their life into a three ring circus. Take Rachel Ward. She doesn't act much anymore and yet there seems to be a so much love for her out there as she's been doing press for her directorial debut, Beautiful Kate. This one stars Ben Mendlesohn, Bryan Brown, Rachel Griffiths, Sophie Lowe and Meave Dermody. It's been making some big advance screenings numbers, which is promising, especially for a film as... prickly as this one supposedly is. The poster is stunning, by the way.

Coraline and the Secret Door - I can't wait to see this movie. Everything I've seen from it so far has impressed me so. Does anybody know why they changed the title to Coraline and the Secret Door for Australia? I've seen the long title used on posters and some reviews, but other places use the shorter title of simply "Coraline". Very strange.

GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra - I was completely oblivious to this movie being out this week. I haven't seen a single ad for it anywhere. Weird.

Tyson - Documentary about Mike Tyson from director James Toback.

The Ugly Truth - I like Katherine Heigl more than most I think and not even I want to see this. The trailer is awful.

DVD Releases for the Week 06/08/09

Confessions of a Shopaholic - I can think of worse things than watching Isla Fisher for 90 minutes, truly. I wanted to see this when it came out, but missed it so I will now that it's out on DVD.

The Deal - This appears to be some direct-to-DVD movie. Never heard of it before, actually.

Inkheart - Brendan Fraser does some stuff in this movie. That's really all I care to know.

Let the Right One In - This Swedish vampire flick gets released on DVD after a barely noticeable cinema release earlier in the year.

Paul Blart: Mall Cop - I refuse.

Two Fists, One Heart - Aussie boxing drama that is a contender for the AFI Awards.


Anonymous said...

I was confused too. I believe that they've officially called it 'Coraline'. On all the posters it says that but recently I saw The Secret Door added too. But I'm unde rthe impression that

Coraline: The normal release
Coraline & The Secret Door: 3D Realease

FranklinBluth said...

The poster for 'Beautiful Kate' reminds me of Bill Henson's photography.

Jorge Rodrigues said...

It has changed to that name here in Portugal too...

«Coraline e a Porta Secreta»

Well... I don't understand how it only premieres there in Australia this week... I've seen it ages ago...

Hugh said...

It came out here in New Zealand yesterday, without the "Secret Door" appendage on the title.

@Jorge: Films take a long time to come out down under!