Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Australians Prefer Harbour Views

This is the Australian poster for Lone Scherfig's An Education. It's not incredibly different, but apparently whoever designed it thinks Australians prefer a view of a bubbling river than a romantic closeup with digitally-removed body parts.


Now, far be it from me to bore you with my (distinct lack of) knowledge about movie marketing, but was it really necessary to spend money hiring a key art designer to make this radically different design? Really? I didn't think the original poster was much of anything - I wouldn't give it a second glance in a cinema foyer - and this is just the same thing, but with more random emptiness. I do like the skyline at the top, however, and looking at it again actually gives me a better "sense of place" than the original. It just seems so unnecessary. I'm sure they could've come up with something better, right? They're professionals!