Wednesday, July 22, 2009

When Bad Posters Strike: I Can Do Bad All By Myself

I know I've ragged on Tyler Perry before for the haphazard and bipolar marketing campaigns of his movies. Generally quite classy teaser posters tend to be followed by disastrously monstrous main posters.

Take a look at this teaser poster for his latest movie, I Can Do Bad All By Myself (I refuse to include the Tyler Perry's bit at the start - it is ridiculous and stupid).

Now, as Tyler Perry teaser posters go, this one is actually not very good at all. The colour is all wrong, the designer hasn't been able to pull off the effect properly and it is a rip-off from a Polish poster. It was a valiant effort though.

However, "not very good at all", "all wrong" and "rip-off" bring on all new connotations when one sees the new main poster for the movie. Classless, poorly-executed, painful, desperate, stupid and actually a bit insulting. Witness:

As you may recall, I was quite a fan of the poster for Sam Peckinpah's Straw Dogs despite my dislike of the film. However, I can't buy into this. I'm not even sure the same people that made Madea Goes to Jail into a box office hit will "get" the reference, if it is indeed a reference - either way I can't fathom the reasoning behind the decision. It's crazy. I hate it. And if he throws his name in front of a movie that has a name/pronoun as its first word then I'm gonna scream!

No comments: