Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Time Goes By So Slowly

Theory: Songs about "time", "clocks" and general tick tock-iness are almost always excellent. Just think about it for a moment. Can't think of any off the top of your head? Well luckily for you I've compiled a few for you. Three of them are, legitimately, three of the greatest songs of all time. Black Box's "Ride on Time" was one of the songs of my childhood. It's really quite shocking how early I started becoming obsessed with songs, and particularly since "Ride on Time" is a big, massive eurotrance song featuring a lot of screaming and sampling and the video clip is ace. Love Black Box, don't you?

I've also included both versions of The KLF's "What Time is Love?" Both have strikingly different videos and, despite "technically" being the same song, are still radically different. The second version - titled "America: What Time is Love?" - even has this crazy arsed narration intro that has to heard to be believed.

Please note that I included two songs that weren't originally on here. Firstly, Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" because I can't believe I left it off in the first place. Secondly, Culture Club's "Time (Clock of the Heart)" because I got Culture Club confused with Dead or Alive and that's why I couldn't find a clip anywhere on YouTube. Silly me, although - let's be honest - I'm surely not the first person to get Culture Club and Dead or Alive mixed up.

Gwen Stefani, "What You Waiting For?"
Madonna, "Hung Up"
Black Box, "Ride on Time"
Solange, "6 O'Clock Blues"
Cyndi Lauper, "Time After Time"
Culture Club, "Time (Clock of the Heart)"
Coldplay, "Clocks"
Bill Haley, - "Rock around the Clock"
Tiga, "Sex O'Clock"
Phrase, "Clockwork"
The KLF, "What Time is Love? (Live at Trancentral)"
The KLF, "America: What Time is Love?"

Unfortunately Bertie Blackman's sublime "Clocks", from her 2009 album Secrets and Lies, is nowhere to be found. Sad. it is very amazing.


Dave said...

I have to concur. Especially with 'Ride on Time', which remains one of my favourite songs ever, and was a big part of my childhood too.

And this all reminded me of Sarah McLachlan's 'Time', which is the best song she's ever recorded and should be included here too.

Outland Institute said...

"Time (Clock Of The Heart)" was by Culture Club, my learned friend (although it may well have been covered by Dead Or Alive at some point). I will undoubtedly be ripping off your list for a future episode of the radio show.

Dame James said...

Add what is possibly the best song of the 80's, Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time."

"Clocks" was the only Coldplay song I could stand until "Viva la Vida." I once had a conversation with some friends about it and we came to the conclusion that it's the only Coldplay song people can agree on.

FranklinBluth said...

I also love 'Time after time' by Cyndi Lauper (and Rob Hyman). Possibly because of it's inclusion in a fantastic montage in 'Strictly Ballroom'.

Glenn Dunks said...

Edited because

a) I'm an idiot for not including "Time After Time"
b) I'm silly for confusing Culture Club with Dead or Alive.

Thanks guys!

fightoffice said...

Prince sign o the times?? Excellent lyrics. No Youtube video (prince hates teh interwedbs), but I found it here: