Wednesday, July 29, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 30/07/09

Cedar Boys - A new Aussie thriller from debut writer/director Seehat Caradee. Normally I am wary of writer/directors because they usually seem so self-indulgent, but word on Cedar Boys has been exceptionally positive. The only names in the cast are Rachael Taylor (2:37 and Transformers) and Martin Henderson (Little Fish).

Lake Mungo - An scary Aussie movie - filmed as a mockumentary - about a dead teenager and her possible haunting of her family. It's been a while since I saw a good scary flick at the cinema so I can't wait to catch this one.

My Sister's Keeper - Oh gawd, how bad does this look?

Public Enemies - Johnny Depp, Christian Bale and Marion Cotillard star in Michael Mann's take on the life of American gangster, John Dillinger. Definitely wanted to see this a few months ago, but my excitement has dampened. I'll still see it eventually though, of course.

Rudo & Cursi - A reteaming of Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna in this Mexican film about two rival soccer players. It is directed by Carlos Cuaron, Alfonso's brother - and some time writing partner.

DVD Releases for the Week 30/07/09

Knowing - Nicolas Cage and Rose Byrne star in this sci-fi action film from Alex Proyas. I wouldn't say it looks "good", but I was definitely intrigued. Was filmed in Melbourne, too!

Watchmen - Sometimes I wonder why I bother going to the movies sometimes for movies such as Zach Snyder's Watchmen. Everybody knows it's just going to be released on DVD in a new "director's cut" months later, anyway. I don't remember writing about this film, but I didn't particularly care for it, but I also didn't not like it. It was just sort of... there.

There is also a high amount of direct-to-DVD titles that nobody has ever heard of getting a release. Passage to Zarahemla? Sand Serpents? Kill Switch? Yikes.

5 comments:

Simon A said...

Grrr. Lake Mungo has a release everywhere that isn't Sydney.

Joel said...

Can't find any listings for Lake Mungo in Melbourne either... :(

Glenn Dunks said...

Joe, Lake Mungo is screening at the Palace George Cinema in St Kilda as well as, randomly, the Regent Multiplex in Ballarat.

Glenn Dunks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glenn Dunks said...

Obviously i meant Joel.