Wednesday, July 1, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 02/07/09

Every Little Step - Musical documentary following the casting of a recent Broadway revival of one of the most famous musicals - A Chorus Line. I really want to see this (but there are quite a few movies out now that I wanna see. Aagh, so little time, so little money). I really like the poster, by the way (to your right). Not sure why, exactly.

Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs - Look, I know this is a kids movie first and foremost, but does that excuse bad history. Are they saying that there were actually two major ice ages? Because didn't the first film feature the onset of the ice age? And now there's dinosaurs roaming again, which naturally makes one assume that another ice age is on the way since - hello - the dinosaurs are no longer around. Aagh!

Last Ride - Aussie film from Cannes-winning director Glendyn Ivin. I wrote in my review "(a)nother example of wallowing in lower class miserabilism without the tact, beauty and poignancy of this years Samson and Delilah or the horror and ferocity of Rowan Woods' The Boys", and I stand by that. I honestly don't know who is going to want to pay good money to see this, but stranger things have happened.

DVD Releases for the Week 02/07/09

Battle in Seattle - I remember hearing about this title years ago and it's only now getting a direct-to-DVD release. Awww?

Bolt - Mildly passable animated fare. Yet another anti-feline one though and that got tired about decades ago.

Ghost Town - Ricky Gervais, Greg Kinnear and Tea Leoni in a movie straight outta the '80s (and, even though they're obviously not, doesn't that CAST just feel so... un-modern? I dunno. I'm not much of a Gervais fan, but Leoni and Kinnear especially just feel so... fourth tier. And I used to really like Leoni in her Naked Truth days. Oh The Naked Truth, how I loved thee. I found Leoni so interesting - everything from her hair to her voice - and now I tend to think she's shrill and angry whenever I see her on screen (albeit, that's only Spanglish and Jurassic Park 3 in the last few years).

JCVD - I have absolutely no connection to Jean-Claude Van Damme so I don't have any interest in seeing him send himself up or whatever he does in this movie.

A Song of Good - Uber-bleak-sounding movie about redemption ("Oh..." you say) from New Zealand.

Space Buddies - LOL! Can you believe there are nine (this is the eighth) titles in the Air Bud franchise. Truly.

The Tale of Despereaux - An animated movie about a mouse with big ears or some such. The animation style really (quite vehemently, actually) turned me off.

The Unborn - Seriously looks like one of the worst movies ever made. Truly.


simbo said...

The Unborn IS one of the worst movies in existence, but semi-hiariously so. What other film features a women's toilet with a glory hole, Garry Oldman as a Rabbi, and a backstory that invokes the holocaust for no good reason?

Paul Martin said...

I have absolutely no connection to Jean-Claude Van Damme

Glenn, I have absolutely no attachment to him, either. But this is a very clever and entertaining film that I highly recommend. You may end up with a 'connection'.

augustburns2 said...

You should see JCVD. It's a very fascinating movie. I had only seen JCVD in Timecop and Cyborg, so I don't have much history with him either. The movie is very interesting-tense and cleaver.

Joel said...

The Unborn is pretty damn hilarious.
You forgot about season 1 of True Blood, which is possibly the best thing out on dvd this week.

Glenn Dunks said...

Didn't forget it, I just generally don't mention TV on DVD. There are far too many each week.