Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mika's "Golden"

I know Mika cops a lot of flak, mostly from the gay community who just cannot fathom why somebody would NOT want to have to talk about their sexuality all the time (heaven forbid!) and his debut album was very hit-and-miss (good god "Billy Brown" is excruciating, isn't it?) but I am looking forward to this new one.

I was completely taken by surprise with lead single "We Are Golden". We already know that a choir makes ANY song instantly better, and that is again proven here, but there's just something about this song that feels quite massive and anthemic. It needs a seven-minute album version, mind you, to truly seal the deal, but it's a great track and I don't care what anybody says.

The video is a strange one though. It involves Mika dancing around in only boxer shorts while laser beams shoot out from his groin and changes costumes a lot. It's very technicolour. He sure is a fan of this style isn't he? Just look at the video for "Grace Kelly" to see another example. Anyway. The song is the important part.

9 comments:

Yo mismo said...

I totally agree with you! I am also hearing the other four new songs. Surprisingly, they are not as "happy" as the ones in the first album. I have to hear them a little more to give my opinion.
Anyway, I am very happy to have a chance to hear Mika again!

Anonymous said...

It's a horrible song. It makes me vomit.

Anonymous said...

I agree, i think it's horrible... mostly the pronunciation of 'golden'

Anonymous said...

Oops, video removed by youtube! I hate this song, especially, as another writer er... writes, the pronunciation of 'Gawlden'. I was fitting most of yesterday in revulsion at this song. Fight fire with fire. Must play it enedlessly until the madness passes.

16th_18thCStudies said...

what is the chorus ripped-off from, some 70's surf pop?

Glenn said...

Look, I've published your comments, but do you really think you're fooling anyone? Four posts in the span of 5 days on an entry a month and a half old? Yeah, okay.

Also, 70s surf pop sounds nothing like this!

Sam said...

You might be getting these comments because (at least today) your blog is number one result in a Google UK search for "Mika Golden"...

littlenadia said...

Yes! What Sam said :) The same goes for google in the Netherlands!

Glenn Dunks said...

That's... really bizarre.

BTW, the album is completely shite. Oh well, moving on...