Monday, July 6, 2009

The Best Basterd Yet

I am keenly awaiting Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds. I am worried, as I always am with QT's films, that it will just completely derail. WWII doesn't exactly sound like the sort of thing that would spike vintage Tarantino, but we shall see. It still remains one of my most anticipated titles of the year. Alas, I have not mentioned the marketing campaign, mostly for one good reason: It hasn't been very good.

Far be it from me to rag on the distributor (that would be The Weinstein Co if I'm not mistaken) for thinking people are going to want to see a movie with this smug basterd on the poster, but... really, why would anybody want to see a movie with this smug basterd on the poster?

I am quite positive that Harvey Weinstein is just indulging QT by throwing his good buddy Eli bloody Roth on a poster all by himself, but as a series of character posters go the bunch for Inglourious Basterds has been a bit dull. No offence to them, but Roth, Christoph Walz and Diane Kruger are not stars and when given boring, ugly-looking posters like the ones they got (filled with bland grays and messy patterns) then they don't work.

However, I like the latest versions much more. They're bolder and more attention-grabbing with their big splashes of red and some actual visual flair. My favourite is this one of Kruger is definitely my favourite.

Now THIS looks like a movie, not just a bunch of mates playing dress-ups for Tarantino in Europe. It looks glamourous and exciting - loving that pose, you'd be mistaken for thinking Kruger was a MOVIE STAR! - and makes me positively salivate at the thought of this movie.


Paul Martin said...

As a blog poster commented on my blog, if you have a lazy $55 (or $50 for MIFF members, even if you have a festival pass), you can be among the first to see QT introduce his film at MIFF. I wouldn't pay that for any film, what to speak of one getting a commercial release.

Glenn Dunks said...

Indeed, I will be skipping Basterds at MIFF and merely waiting for its August release.