Saturday, June 6, 2009

You Knew It Was Coming!

I am far gone from ever being truly surprised my posters for movies targeted "women" (quotation marks necessary because, lets face it, not every woman only wants to see people swooning over one another). Whether it's Matthew McConaughey in a sorta goofy pose with his female co-star or the following unfortunately stripey pattern that is used so very often that I have mocked as much as two years ago.


All those grinning faces, mixed sizes of Times New Roman font with alternative colours and the neat stripes. Which brings me to the newly released poster for Nora Ephron's Julie & Julia, a movie I am actually very much looking forward to.


Is it too hard for them to even use a different font? Apparently not. At least the conceit works on this one since the two characters, if we are to believe the real life timeline the film follows, never actually meet so they are two entirely separate stories, but it's still lazy design. And to think, Meryl Streep also has a Nancy Meyers movie out this year (the same director behind two of the three above movies) and if that gets a poster just like this one...? I think I'm gonna explode.

5 comments:

Guy said...

Give them some credit. They chose a black background for the middle stripe this time! That must have been really hard for them.

J.D. said...

As much as it is virtually identical to those, I can't stop thinking of the poster for He's Just Not That Into You. Maybe the cutesy font?

Paul Martin said...

The font may have serifs, but it's certainly nothing like Times New Roman.

Glenn Dunks said...

I was going off the top of my head in that regards.

Jesue V // FILM MUSIC ART blog said...

Maybe they're designed by the same company