Thursday, June 25, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 25/06/09

Bastardy - Aussie documentary that I remember seeing posters for at last year's Melbourne International Film Festival and is only now getting a theatrical release (11 months later). Follows Jack Charles, an accomplished and popular indigenous actor who is a heroin addict, petty thief and a strange case altogether.

Coco Avant Chanel - French biopic about Coco Chanel (betcha didn't see that coming?!) starring Audrey Toutou. Reviews haven't exactly been glowing, but I want to see it for the costumes. Those glorious, beautiful costumes.

Hannah Montana: The Movie - No joking, I've attempted to watch Hannah Montana about three times in my life and I swear everytime I do the exact same episode comes on. There's something about a ventriliquist dummy and Hannah Montana is eagerly awaiting a phone call or something. I dunno. I did win free tickets though so I kinda have to go, right? ...:/

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - I liked the original, I have mentioned that on many occasions, but even fans of the original seem to hate this sequel, which is a shame. It was one of the few big blockbusters of the winter that I really wanted to see.

Wake in Fright - This Aussie film from 1971 was directed by Ted Kotcheff, the man behind the original Fun with Dick and Jane and First Blood, and was nominated for the Palme d'Or in Cannes. It was since deemed a lost classic since only poor-quality VHS versions were around (and in scant supply too). That was until an original film version was found in an American rubbish tip. It has now been remastered and is getting a limited theatrical re-released. Amazing.

Also, Chan-Wook Park's Thirst screens at a couple of Sydney theatres before it's MIFF (and then theatrical) release later. They're so lucky!

DVD Releases for the Week 25/06/09

Chicago 10 - I've heard a lot of good things about this animated documentary (mostly from NicksFlickPicks).

The Last Word - It's so rare to find a movie being released that I have never heard of once in my life. Voila! Stars Winona Ryder and Wes Bentley. Random.

Passengers - I find the idea of Rodrigo Garcia directing Anne Hathaway, Patrick Wilson, Dianne Weist, Clea DuVall, Andre Brougher and David Morse in a movie that goes direct-to-DVD so fascinating. And it's nice to see they're using the artwork in which Hathaway looks like Liv Tyler!

Pride and Glory - Ed Norton and Colin Farrell in a movie about dodgy cops or something to that effect.

The Reader - What can I say? I really liked it. I imagine if this movie were 40 years old and made in black and white then people would hail it as a masterpiece.

4 comments:

FranklinBluth said...

Have you seen, or do you plan to see, 'Wake in fright'? David seemed to be a HUGE fan last night on 'at the movies'.

Glenn Dunks said...

I haven't seen it yet, but I want to! Depends if I get around to it in time.

RJ said...

"What can I say? I really liked it. I imagine if this movie were 40 years old and made in black and white then people would hail it as a masterpiece. "

Doesn't mean they'd be right.

RJ said...

Also, if it was made 40 years ago, it wouldn't be as tired and derivative