Wednesday, June 10, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 11/06/09

Four of a Kind - I wanted to write a review on this Aussie DIY indie film from director Fiona Cochrane, but I couldn't muster much of anything and I felt bad just ragging on the film since it looks like it cost about $17 and is about as good as you would expect from a movie of this kind made with Betacam (my enemy). There are some decent performances though (Louise Siversen) and, fun fact, scenes were made just around the corner from me.

The Hangover - Funny-looking comedy that you already know the plot about. Already at #126 on IMDb's Top 250. Naturally.

Land of the Lost - Quite tellingly the original 1974 series (from the makers of Pufnstuf) is a more popular search on IMDb than this movie. Looks terrible, it's getting terrible reviews and

Shall We Kiss? - Oh look! A french romantic comedy. Haven't seen one of them in a while.

Sunshine Cleaning - Stars Amy Adams and Emily Blunt.

DVD Releases for the Week 11/06/09

Doubt - I surprised myself by liking this so much. I would probably rank it in my top ten of 2008 (coming soon!!yay!)

He's Just Not That Into You - I actually quite liked this movie. More so the storylines involving Jennifer Aniston, Ben Affleck and Ginnifer Goodwyn rather than those with Scarlett Johansson, Bradley Cooper and the guy who played the straight-pretending-to-be-gay real estage agent (I didn't know who he was then, and I still don't) who were very much MOVIE CHARACTERS(!!!)

How to Rob a Bank - Direct-to-DVD movie starring Nick Stahl and recently-deceased David Carradine.

Transporter 3 - I'll pass. I don't have to watch his movies to stare at Jason Statham.

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans - Weren't most people over this franchise about half way through the original?

TV Screenings for the Week 11/06/09

12/06/09, Ruthless People (1986), C7, 12.00PM - I was just thinking about this movie last week and wishing I owned it on DVD. Definitely one of the five funniest movies I've ever seen. Love it so much. "I've been kidnapped by K-Mart!"

13/06/09, Days of Being Wild (1990), SBS, 12.45PM - Wong Kar Wai film that is apparently a sort companion movie to In the Mood for Love and 2046.

13/06/09, To Sir, With Love (1967), C9, 1.45PM - Famous movie starring Sidney Poitier. Love the tagline: "A story as fresh as the girls in their minis. . .and as tough as the kids from London's East End!"

13/06/09, Vera Drake (2004), SBS, 9.50PM - Such a great GREAT movie from Mike Leigh, starring Imelda Staunton.

14/06/09, The Hard Word (2002), C9, 1.30AM - I liked this movie when it came out years ago, but it's a bit fuzzy. I don't remember much outside Rachel Griffiths rubbing a wet finger on a plexiglass window. And by "wet" I mean... well, you know what I mean. :/

14/06/09, 3 Acts of Murder (2009), ABC1, 8.30PM - Made-for-TV Aussie thriller starring Robert Menzies, Luke Ford and Emma Booth, the latter two who were the "breakout stars" of the two near-identical movies Clubland (2007) and The Black Balloon (2008). Directed by Rowan Wood who made a big splash with movies like The Boys (very excellent) and Little Fish (quite good), but whose first American film, Winged Creatures, hasn't been met with the greatest enthusiasm, despite a great cast.

No comments: