Wednesday, June 3, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

How crazy, by the way, is it that we're already in freakin' June?!

Cinema Releases for the Week 04/06/09

Fanboys - It is only getting a release here - and only at ACMI until June 21 - due to a concurrent Star Wars exhibit in the city at the moment.

I Love You, Man - While this comedy, starring Paul Rudd and Jason Segal, looks more enticing than the usual frat comedy these sort of actors appear in (in some small degree of seperation, there's usually Will Ferrell involved) I still can't work up that much excitement about it. A definitely DVD movie though if I don't get to it theatrically.

Is Anybody There? - Most likely, no.

RiP: A Remix Manifesto - A new documentary about copyright within the music industry, focused around mashup musician Girl Talk. My review here.

Terminator Salvation - I still want to see this movie (and in a cinema) despite all the incredibly negative reviews it has received. I am so very very fond of this franchise.

Two Lovers - I had never seen a James Gray film before Two Lovers and while I liked it in a general sort of way (there wasn't anything to actively dislike) it didn't elicit that much energy from me. I may write something more expansive on it this week... but then again, I might not. Apparently it is Joaquin Phoenix's final film performance. We shall see. Also stars Gwyneth Paltrow and Vinessa Shaw.

DVD Releases for the Week 04/06/09

Bedtime Stories - *shrug*

Bride Wars - As much as this looks terrible I will probably end up seeing it at some point, which makes me sad. What I don't get is how movie like this "set back women by twenty years"? No they don't. And if they do then surely men have regressed to the ice age with the amount of moronic crap featuring men that has been released over the years.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Now even more weighed down, this time with three Oscars!

Gran Torino - Still can't bring myself to watch this. The trailer is bad enough and Changeling was pretty darn woeful.

Happily N'ever After 2: Snow White - Do you even remember a Happily N'ever After 1? I don't.

Role Models - See I Love You, Man at the movies and then watch this on DVD.

TV Screenings for the Week 04/06/09

05/06/09, Patton (1970), 7HD, 12.00PM - Oscar winner for Best Picture amongst many others.

06/06/09, The Burning Hills (1956), C9, 1.30PM - A western romance starring Natalie Wood! She's always good value.

06/06/09, Seed of Chucky (2004), C10, 11.30PM - Until the day I die I will be saying that Jennifer Tilly, extraordinaire, was robbed of - if any nothing else - a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actress in a Musical/Comedy for her performance in this here Seed of Chucky. Absolutely amazing.

09/06/09, Letter from an Unknown Woman (1948), ABC1, 12.55AM - Joan Fontaine stars.

1 comment:

Augustburns2 said...

Go see I love you man! It's really funny, cute, charming, and sentimentally sweet!!!