Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Scorsese's Shutter Island Trailer

A brand spankin' new trailer for Martin Scorsese's upcoming thriller Shutter Island has arrived and it looks gooood. Of course, people will start screaming "BEST PICTURE!" but I still don't see it happening. Even more so now than before since it looks particularly genre and stylised. I actually thought it had the feel of a Hitchcock thriller. Not just the bits with the staircase and the rock face, which seem to ape Hitchcock 100%, but also Leonardo DiCaprio's performance, especially early on in the trailer, feels quite deliberately hammy. I dunno. We'll see.

Not much footage of the women gunning for Best Supporting Actress though. Michelle Williams is the name everyone was throwing around for a while, but - as you may recall - I picked Emily Mortimer to win 360 days ago. I also thought Max Von Sydow could win too, but apart from a brief moment at the end we don't get to see much of the Exorcist man either.

Still, I can't wait now.

3 comments:

Anderson said...

Have you read the book? Before reading it I also thought that Mortimer was a lock for best supp actress (young, pretty, overdue, playing mad) but then you realize there is 'less' to her character than you might imagine. I just felt the trailer underplayed Mark Ruffalo's character's importance, who in the book has a great personality and is funny/dramatic in the 'academy award' sort of way. And Von Sydow's role is toooo small. Maybe Kingsley might have a shot.

Love your blog!
;-) From Brazil.

FranklinBluth said...

Hmmmm... the trailer started off great, but I feel that it went on for a bit too long. I don't know, perhaps if it was a bit shorter the eerie, haunting feeling might have resonated more. But, otherwise, I knew nothing of this film before, and now I really want to see it!

Glenn Dunks said...

Anon from Brazil, I have not read the book, but it has been my experience that mental patients manage to stand out and the Academy clearly doesn't care if you're in a small role as long as it's good.

Frank, I agree somewhat. I think the stuff with DiCaprio being unable to escape and all that shouldn't have been included. Bit unnecessary.