Sunday, June 28, 2009

Do You Like Scary Movies?

Since writing that very impromptu My Bloody Valentine 3D review I've been watching some mid-to-late '90s horror movie trailers. They bring back so many VHS memories. Getting one from Blockbuster and then discovering a whole new lot to get excited about. I remember going to three different stores just to rent a copy of Halloween H20. How crazy is that!.

There's that sort of omnipresent voice over by Don LaFontaine that suits them so perfectly. The constant cross-referencing - The Faculty trailer even includes scenes from Scream! - and the way they all seem to mention rules or have jokes about horror movies (Scream brought many things in vogue, didn't it?) So much fun to watch if, like me, these were the movies you actually grew up watching. Desperately begging a parental to take you and your mates (before shunning them to the back of the cinema, naturally) and thinking you were so cool for seeing an MA15+ rated film that features Tara Reid get butchered while in her underwear (clearly the latter aspect of that moment was a bit lost on me).

Speaking of The Faculty, I had forgotten what a great cast that movie had! Piper Laurie, Bebe Neuwirth, Robert Patrick, Salma Hayek, Famke Janssen, Jon Stewart, Clea DuVall, Elijah Wood, Christopher McDonald and Josh Hartnett. Nowadays the biggest cast member would be someone from The Hills plus a bunch of too-pretty nobodies who nobody will ever see again. Seemingly gone are the days when someone like Anne Heche would show up in I Know What You Did Last Summer! :/

And now I have the overwhelming desire to watch them all.


Simon A said...

Holy shit. I want a nineties horror day now. I love the sound Buffy makes in the I Know trailer when she falls out the window.

Scott Mendelson said...

First of all, thanks for remembering Wes Craven's New Nightmare. It's still Craven's best film, the best of the Nightmare series, and one of the very best horror films of the 1990s. Heck, Halloween H20 works better than you'd think purely because it has a low body count. Hence, you don't know when someone is actually going to die. On that note, I think the Halloween H20 trailer is busted.

Glenn Dunks said...

Scott, I think Scream is Craven's best, but New Nightmare is next in line and is my favourite "Elm Street" film. Love it.

Simon, I know right! I have the urge to watch all of these right now!