Thursday, May 7, 2009

When Bad Posters Strike: Whatever Works

Woody Allen movies have, throughout the past decade or so, been becoming more and more interested in being actual posters with design concepts and not just movie stills with a list of cast names attached like they were for a very long part of his career (give or take an Another Woman here or there along the way. Consider the great Saul Bass-inspired design for Small Time Crooks, the colourful playfulness of Hollywood Ending or the conventional, but stylish, thriller works for Match Point.

And now, via InContention, is the poster for his latest movie, Whatever Works. It stars Larry David (unrecognisable on the poster) with Evan Rachel Wood and Patricia Clarkson (completely absent from the poster). David is giving a goofy look that normally wouldn't be so annoying if it didn't come off as cloyingly desperate for a laugh. And then add that it just doesn't really look like him at all. Maybe I'm so used to seeing him grumpy in Curb Your Enthusiasm and a smile is so foreign to his face, but... yikes. Also, why can't I get the idea out of my head that he has been photoshopped? Something doesn't look right about his head on that body.Check it out below and decide for yourself.

4 comments:

Paul Martin said...

I like it. I only noticed the PhotoShopping once I clicked and saw the larger version. It's not noticeable at first glance and I had no problem identifying Larry David. To me, the trailer gives the impression of quintessential Woody Allen.

Glenn said...

The trailer is by far more interesting.

Paul Martin said...

I said trailer? I meant poster.

Jesue V // FILM MUSIC ART blog said...

I have to agree, the poster looks quite bad, it has a repelling quality to it, which isn't good for an advertisement. I LOLed when I first saw the poster on Apple Trailers.

I have to agree with Glenn, the trailer looks and feels more interseting.