Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Four Aussie Films (So Far) to Premiere at MIFF

The Melbourne International Film Festival is coming up soon (July 24-August 9) so program details with begin to filter through frequently from now. Today we got confirmation on the opening and closing night films, two Australian films that will be receiving their world premieres at the festival.


The Melbourne International Film Festival (MIFF) will open and close with world premieres of new Australian films. Political thriller Balibo will open this year’s edition on July 24 while music comedy Bran Nue Dae will close it on August 8.

The festival’s Premier Fund did support both films which means it has the right to show them first but MIFF executive director, Richard Moore, said they were chosen for the prime spots on their own merits.

These are probably two of the four or so most anticipated Aussie titles coming out for the rest of year. Especially Bran Nue Dae, which is Rachael Perkins' indigenous-themed musical (click the tag to see posts about it).


There are, however, two other films premiering that the Screen Daily article mentions. Ana Kokkinos' Blessed and debut filmmaker Sean Byrne's The Loved One. The former stars the quality trio of Miranda Otto, Frances O'Connor and Deborra-Lee Furness. It's always great to see her on the big screen so it will give me a reason to push on through with Kokkinos' film since I haven't liked any of the films from her that I have seen. Her last film, the controversy-baiting Book of Revelation was such a wet blanket of a movie that I just hope she can pull some sort of miracle out of her hat. The Loved Ones stars Victoria Thaine, Richard Wilson (The Proposition) and Xavier Samuel, who I've written a bit about on here. You could call me a fan.

Now if any these movies would release a poster or a trailer so I could put it here.

3 comments:

Paul Martin said...

Another local film that's getting a premiere at MIFF is Alkinos Tsilmidos' Blind Company, which is one of my most anticipated films of the year.

Glenn said...

Thanks! Is that the title I passed on to you a while ago?

Can't say I'm a Tsilimidos fan (same boat as Kokkinos for me) but that one sounded interesting. I'll probably wait for AFI screenings though.

Paul Martin said...

I don't remember, Glenn. The information I posted was straight from the director himself.