Thursday, May 14, 2009

Following the Arrows

I watched Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Amelie the other night when I was feeling down. Naturally it put a smile on my face. None of those smiles, however, were quite as large as the one I had during this sequence. This has always been my favourite scene in the movie (and there are so many of those to begin with) and I love that the scene name on the DVD menu is "Playing Games" since the reason I love this scene so much is it's playfulness.

Plus it's got Mathieu Kassovitz looking like a dish throughout so what's not to love (okay, I can totally understand disliking this movie, but we're not discussing that now)?


Ben Rylan said...

This movie is perfect. I saw it by accident after sneaking into a cinema after the movie I paid for had finished. A French movie would never have sparked my interest back then - of-course all that changed after seeing this!

I'm surprised you love this movie, but hate "Breakfast at Tiffany's". I know they're not really the same at all, but they do have that similar cutsie soufflé feeling.

FranklinBluth said...

I share your love for this movie.

Chris said...

See, the thing is, unlike you: I don't understand how anyone cannot like this film. It is perfection.

Glenn said...

Chris, the reason why some people don't like it is - much like Ben mentioned - the oh-so-cutesy tweeness. It can grate. I am usually repulsed by it (see my dislike for Breakfast at Tiffany's or the music of most indie pop acts as examples) but along with the clearly fake-yet-irresistible Paris, the gorgeous images and the simple joy of it all I fell in love.