Thursday, April 30, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 30/04/09

Acolytes - Small-scale Aussie thriller from Jon Hewitt that I saw at MIFF nearly a year ago. It's not that much cop, but I've seen worse Aussie films this year (that'd be you Beautiful).

Defiance - Unfortunately, not even Jamie and Mia can get me to see this WWII movie starring Daniel Craig and Liev Shreiber (in his first of two movies this week).

Tenderness - Oft-delayed movie from Aussie director Jon Polson with a small role by Russell Crowe.

Wolverine - Actually opened yesterday, but here is Hugh Jackman's likely last X-Men effort (surely!) and it's a prequel to the original film (I think...) and it co-stars Liev Schreiber, Danny Huston, Dominic Monaghan, Ryan Reynolds, Taylor Kitsch and... Will.i.am? Apparently so. Personally, I love the inclusion of Julia Blake. How delightfully brilliant.

DVD Releases for the Week 30/04/09

Brideshead Revisited - Can Emma Thompson just be inserted into every movie from now on?

The Day the Earth Stood Still - It's terrible, don't bother.

Frost/Nixon - Fairly decent, if unexciting, Oscar-nominated movie from Ron Howard. The whole enterprise just seemed kinda flat. I liked it well enough, just... I can't get excited about it at all.

Slumdog Millionaire - Ya know, I have barely spoken about this movie on the blog and yet I feel I've been talking about it non-stop for a good four months. Can we move on yet?

Also, let it be known that season one Pushing Daisies is released this week so those who do not have access to Foxtel (ie; most of us) can finally view this now-cancelled series starring Lee Pace and Kristen Chenowith.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

not watching Defiance will be your loss, that's for sure

Glenn said...

Yeah that's not going to get me interested at all.