Wednesday, April 8, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

I'm currently overseas right now, but I prepared this earlier so y'all can be kept abreast of all the goings-on in my corner of the globe.

Cinema Releases for the Week 09/04/09

17 Again - A friend of mine says this is horrific in ways even he couldn't have imagined. Sounds promising!!!

The Boat That Rocked - I didn't too much care for Richard Curtis' last movie Love Actually (I'm in the minority there, I know) but this one looks entertaining. Although I'm not sure why Phillip Seymour Hoffman is there (he has two movies this week along with Mary and Max).

Dragonball: Evolution - I'm not sure why this movie wasn't made seven years ago, quite frankly. Ya know, when it was actually popular.

Elegy - Isobel Coixet's films typically get love it/hate it reactions and Elegy is not different. After hating her last movie, the Sarah Polley-starring My Life Without Me, I was hoping the cast of this movie was a sign of quality. As always, some love it and some hate it.

Good - Not!

Mary and Max - The feature debut of Oscar short animation winner Adam Elliot (Harvey Krumpet). Hopefully I found time to write a review before I left for my holiday. If not: It's good. Very funny and the voice work is tops. Third act a bit of a dud. There ya go!

Observe and Report - Apparently set for release, but as of the time of typing (26 March) I have heard rumblings (on Twitter no less) that the date has been shifted so if it doesn't surface today then there is apparently a reason. Considering the number of movies being released this week, it wouldn't surprise me if one of them called "CHICKEN!" and jumped.

Race to Witch Mountain - Remake of the film from the 1970s, this time starring Dwayne Johnson and AnnaSophia Robb. Somebody get that girl a movie as good as Bridge to Terabithia, plz!

DVD Releases for the Week 09/04/09

Big Stan - Rob Schneider-directed comedy. "Comedy".

City of Ember - An enjoyable old-fashioned adventure movie that unfortunately didn't get enough love when it was released. Should've been an Oscar nominee too for Best Art Direction.

Dying Breed - A really terrible Aussie horror flick. Don't bother with this is.

Hamlet 2 - Going direct-to-DVD when all that ridiculous hype turned into absolutely NOTHING. Why am I so against this movie?

High School Musical 3: Senior Year - Moving on...


Paul Martin said...

Elegy: I didn't hate it, but if I thought about it too long, maybe I would. It tries to be profound, but it's not. A wasted opportunity.

Mary and Max: one of the most engaging and entertaining Australian films in years. It'll do very well at the box office, I expect.

Paul Martin said...

BTW Glenn, how's NYC? I stayed in Greenwich Village in winter 2003/04, adjacent to Washington Square Park. It was a great locale, and I was within walking distance of about 3 arthouse cinemas, which I visited each day. I love the place.