Wednesday, April 1, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

I'm currently overseas right now, but I prepared this earlier so y'all can be kept abreast of all the goings-on in my corner of the globe.

Cinema Releases for the Week 02/04/09

Inkheart - Brendan Fraser stars in this fantasy adventure movie. Or, I think that's what it is. Somehow Helen Mirren got herself involved with this. Somehow.

Monsters vs Aliens - I am hoping that Monsters vs Aliens becomes only the third Dreamworks Animation title that I actually like (after Antz and Over the Hedge - everything else is garbage). I think I will like it, but I've been proven wrong before plenty of times.

The Pink Panther 2 - Even Beyonce knew when to jump ship on this one. Just say no!

Summer Hours - The latest from Olivier Assayas (Clean, demonlover) stars Juliette Binoche. The only person I know to have seen it, Paul at MelbFilmBlog, really liked it.

DVD Releases for the Week 02/04/09

American Teen - Documentary that puts The Breakfast Club into a real life setting.

Australia - Baz Luhrmann's flick has been in release for something like 20 weeks and nearly cracked the $40mil threshold (very rare). Now comes the DVD release. I'm sure it'll still look beautiful, but all those people who said they would wait for DVD are going to regret it (if they end up liking it) since it absolutely needed to be seen on the big screen for the full effect. Check out DVDBeaver for a look at how good it scrubs up on Blu-Ray.

Unfortunately, it seems all the special features are merely the same "set to screen" series that a lot of us fans have already seen on iTunes. Poor form!

The Devil's Whore - If you're going to be anybody's whore then you might as well be the Devil's whore, right?

Journey to the Center of the Earth - Available in both 3D and 2D versions, apparently.

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2 - I may be wrong, but is this title going... direct-to-DVD? I don't remember it getting a theatrical release and there is none listed on IMDb. Hmmm. Isn't surprising, mind you, but still...

1 comment:

Dave said...

I've seen Summer Hours and it's rubbish.

The end.