Wednesday, March 11, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 12/03/09

Appaloosa - Boy are we lucky! Two Renee Zellweger movies (after New in Town last week) in as many weeks. This Ed Harris-directed western gets a minimal release here, like most westerns these days. Stars Harris, Viggo Mortensen and Zellweger.

Confessions of a Shopaholic - Isla Fisher (adorable) stars in this film by PJ Holden (awesome). Of course, it's being eviscerated by critics, so maybe it's a DVD movie. The ads and posters have been everywhere for this movie, haven't they? So much more so than Watchmen, strangely.

Easy Virtue - Stephen Elliot (The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert) returns to directing after a debilitating accident to direct this Jessica Biel period comedy. Yes, you read that right. It actually looks quite charming, and it co-stars Kristen Scott Thomas and Colin Firth.

Friday the 13th - I really wanted to see this, but I don't think I'll be able to (too poor, not enough time). Oh well. Jason will always be around. I don't think I want to live in a world where Jason Vorhees doesn't return periodically. /hyperbole

Love the Beast - I have been trying to tackle writing a review for this movie, Eric Bana's documentary about his car, but just can't seem to get past the opening paragraph. Ugh, sucks to that. Anyway, it's really quite good. And since I know nothing about and have no interest in cars that should come as quite high praise. It's an "exciting" "thrill-seeking" and "heart-pumping" movie. Those are three quotes I considered for my review and decided they sounded wanky. Indeed.

Notorious - Personally, I much prefer West Coast hip-hop from the period of time that this Notorious B.I.G. biopic covers, as opposed to East Coast. There was, however, some fine east music, none of which was Puff Daddy. Needless to say, I'd rather this movie be based on the other coast and be about, say, Tupac because I like that music so much more, but B.I.G. did have some killer tracks. It still amuses me to this day that he sampled perhaps the biggest queer anthem of all, Diana Ross' "I'm Coming Out", for his track "Mo Money Mo Problems".

By the way, the soundtrack to Notorious features a great new song called "Brooklyn Go Hard" by Jay-Z and Santogold. Check it out.

DVD Releases for the Week 12/03/09

Disaster Movie - I think the only moment of inspiration this movie has (if any) is putting an Amy Winehouse character in a movie about disasters. Too true. Nevertheless, even as a drugged out crack monster, Winehouse is probably more talented and each and ever person involved in the making of this so-called "movie".

How to Lose Friends and Alienate People - One thing you should know about me is that I cringe and have to look away whenever people do stuff that's really awkward and embarrassing. That's why I am, personally, not a fan of train wreck Oscar speeches like so many people. Which brings me to why I will never watch this movie, even though it stars Simon Pegg and Kirsten Dunst. Not sure why I would want to spend 110 minutes (110!) in the company of this movie's main character, to tell you the truth.

Mirrors - This terrible Alexandre Aja movie that you should not even think about watching. Just so so very terrible.

Saw V - I always didn't include this purely because I hate even mentioning these titles on here. Ugh.

Shrooms - A horror movie with a neat poster.

Vacancy 2: The First Cut - I was a big fan of the original Vacancy from a couple of years ago, but I'm not even going to bother with this direct-to-DVD sequel. They'll make sequels to anything these days, won't they? I mean, the ending of the original didn't exactly leave much wiggle room (oh, SNAP!) but... well, whatever. It somehow stars Agnes Bruckner, who actually looked like she might have a career after Blue Car a few years ago. A few very long years ago for Ms Bruckner, surely.

No TV screenings this week since I can't be bothered trawling the net guides to see what's on. Poor you (/sarcasm)

4 comments:

Joel said...

I'm pretty keen on seeing Friday The 13th, especially since i missed My Bloody Valentine 3D. Don;t expect much, but its been a while since I caught a slasher at the movies.

Also, Traitor with Guy Pearce and Don Cheadle is released for rental only this week, and I think next month it will be out to buy (thought I can't imagine anyone particularly interested in buying it)

J.D. said...

Shopaholic is SO crazy-enjoyable. It's not exactly innovative or anything, but I just don't get the critical whipping it got.

Hi said...

Vacancy 2 is actually pretty good as an action/suspense movie. It's a twenty something version with the original theme, and is about how the friends sacrifice to get the pregnant fiancee to safety. AgnesB always gives her best. Rent or buy it used.

Dan said...

Did you intentionally call him PJ Holden?