Wednesday, March 4, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 05/03/09

Beautiful - New Aussie feature from debut writer/director Dean O'Flaherty. I thought it was a pretty mess.

Dean Spanley - Toa Fraser's period comedy starring Sam Neill, Jeremy Northam, Pete O'Toole and Bryan Brown. It is a co-production between the UK and Fraser's native New Zealand.

JCVD - Jean Claude Van Damme stars in this self-mocking movie. Screens exclusively at ACMI here in Melbourne. For other states I can't tell ya, unfortunately.

Let the Right One In - If this movie were being released wide I'd make a joke and hoping fans of Twilight go see it and then realise what they've been wasting their time on. Alas, it's only screening at one cinema in Victoria and I'm sure not many more around the rest of the nation. I didn't think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread when I saw it at MIFF last year, but a lot of people seem to think it is. Oh well.

New in Town - I walk past the poster for this movie every day that I'm at work and it bugs the hell outta me. She's just so annoying! She = Renee Zellweger, of course. Can she travel back in time and be as great as she was around 2000/01? Yes? Thank you.

The Secret Life of Bees - I've actually wanted to see this movie for a while now, but now that it's been released I'll most likely have to skip it and wait for DVD. Stars Dakota Fanning, Queen Latifah, Jennifer Hudson, Sophie Okonedo and Alicia Keys.

Watchmen - I'm seeing this 1980s-set superhero movie tomorrow night and I'm mucho looking forward to it, even though I've never read the graphic novel or even really knew what it was before the movie was announced.

DVD Releases for the Week 05/03/09

Brideshead Revisited - Apparently a rather limp retelling of Evelyn Waugh's novel. Starring Emma Thompson and Matthew Goode, who is in Watchmen too.

Death Race - Really, quite an absurd movie starring Jason Statham, who does not take his shirt off here. I was disappointed too.

Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder - Probably the weakest of the Futurama movies since the first one. No where near as good as The Beast with a Billion Backs, but it's still passable.

Nights in Rodanthe - It's not exactly Unfaithful Again for Diane Lane and Richard Gere, is it?

RocknRolla - Guy Ritchie doing his thing.

The Square - Acclaimed thriller from Australian stuntman/actor duo of Nash (director) and Joel (writer, actor) Edgerton. I never got to see this last year - stupidly the AFI screening was on Grand Final Saturday and by that stage it had already, sadly, flopped out of cinemas - so I'm excited to finally catch up with it on DVD. Also interesting to note is how drastically the film's marketing has been changed. The original poster was somber and mysterious, the DVD cover (right) is... well, not.

Up the Yangtze - All Australian Readers Take Note: PLEASE WATCH THIS MOVIE. It's one of the very best that I have seen from 2008 and has gone unfortunately unwatched by most. It's a great documentary on the effect of the Three Gorges Dam project on two vastly opposite individuals. Just do yourself a favour and watch it.

TV Screenings for the Week 05/03/09

06/03/09, The Wild Bunch (1969), C9, 11.30PM - Sam Peckinpah's western with William Holden and Ernest Borgnine.

07/03/09, The Cooler (2003), C10, 1.00AM - The movie had hailed Alec Baldwin's comeback and also stars William H Macy and Maria Bello. I remember quite liking this movie, actually, although it's a little shaky in the memory.

07/03/09, Patton (1970), 7HD, 11.00PM - Winner of 7 Oscars including Best Picture, Director and Actor (George C Scott refused to accept the award and it was given back to the Academy). Also won Best Adapted Screenplay, one of Francis Ford Coppola's five Oscars.

08/03/09, Sister Kenny (1946), ABC1, 11.55PM - Rosalind Russell was Oscar-nominated for her role as an Australian nurse.


Ben Rylan said...

How film noir-ish is that The Square cover art? If Joel Edgerton were wearing a hat, I'd swear it were a 1940s movie and I'd want to see it more. Though despite the lack of hat, I still wouldn't mind seeing this film.

Drew said...

Heh, yeah, I don't think Let the Right One In is coming to Perth. Which is incredibly disappointing, I desperately want to see it.

Not planning on seeing Beautiful, it seems a lot like Blue Velvet with a poor script.