Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Public Health Warning

WARNING: The worst Australian film ever made - according to me - finally gets a limited released from tomorrow. I saw Paul Cox's Salvation at AFI last year (and reviewed it here) and it has only soured further in my mind. Truly a deplorably bad movie in every single way.

It is getting a release in three cinemas as of tomorrow, two in NSW and one in Victoria. Three too many if you ask me. And they're high profile cinemas, too, might I add. Not sure who they owe favours too, but I can't imagine this sticking around too long. One week? Probably. Hopefully. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!


Paul Martin said...

AVOID AT ALL COSTS? Come on, Glenn, that's a bit rough. You didn't like it, and I certainly didn't like it either, but some people will.

Ben Rylan said...

Not really. No more rough than the average film often gets; though I suspect the average film often has a little bit more thought behind "who we're targeting with this" than Salvation did. Depending on the premise for a film, you can often get away with low production values. But the production quality of this film looks worse than a story on Today Tonight.

Glenn said...

Ben, it is. They use this specific brand of digital camera that I can't remember the name of, but the moment I see that in a movie I basically already know it's going to be bad. I'm like David Stratton and shaky cam in that regard.

Paul, perhaps you're right, but I generally don't act like this towards movies so I feel I can on this one, which I legitimately think is one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

If people can say it for Australia then I can say it for bloody Salvation.

Ben Rylan said...

I don't mind low production values when they fit the script. Like "Sidewalks of New York", it had a very casual feel. But it was shot as a sort of docu-drama, so it worked. Or Woody Allen's "Husbands & Wives", and the most obvious, "The Bliar Witch Project". In the case of Sidewalks, I LOVED the style. Alas, simply making a film in the traditional way like this (and "Open Water" suffered the same way) doesn't quite cut it. It actually seems rather bizarre.