Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Oy! London!

This a shout out to all my London-based (and other UK-with-the-ability-to-go-to-London) readers. The London Australia Film Festival kicks off today in your city and you have the chance to see some good movies. The main reason I am writing this, however, is because Steve Kastrissios' The Horseman is screening and, as you may or may not remember, I thought it was amazing. It's not for the "faint of heart" (to coin a cliche), it's violent and I was thoroughly disturbed, but boy is it a great film. Absolutely powerful in looking at how we see violence and the levels to which we are able to sustain. It sounds wanky, yes, but once you're sitting in the cinema experiencing it it most definitely not. I'm not you will get many more chances to see the movie, so do try and make an effort to see it if you can.

Also screening at the fest are titles like AFI-winning The Black Balloon, which is quite good, surfer pic Newcastle and Anthony Hayes' Ten Empty. Some times that haven't premiered in Australia yet include Long Weekend (the nature vs Jesus movie I've discussed before and Lake Mungo. Do yourself a favour and skip the worthless Dying Breed.

src - InsideFilm

3 comments:

Joel said...

I still regret not seeing it at MIFF. But alas four films was too much on that day and left when the line to get in was around the effing block.

Hope it appears at least on DVD sometime soon...

Guy said...

You're a champ, Glenn -- I was just going to ask you what was worth catching!

Kamikaze Camel said...

I haven't seen the likes of Long Weekend or Lake Mungo, but...yeah, The Horseman really is strong and effective stuff.