Wednesday, March 25, 2009

5 Days 'til NYC: The Godfather Part II

In anticipation for my trip to New York City I will be counting down with some of my NYC movies (and even some that I don't like just for a change of pace). Hope you all enjoy.

Beating out The Godfather by the tiniest of margin as my favourite of the trilogy is The Godfather Part III. It's really the New York migration sequences and the life of the young Vito Corleone played by Robert DeNiro that make this movie for me. They have such a vibrant and dangerous atmosphere to them. The parade assassination sequence is, in my eyes, one of cinemas finest moments. Pure perfection.

I like the entire trilogy, actually. I even found many things to love in the much maligned Part III. And just think, if Francis Ford Coppola had not have cast his daughter Sofia she mightn't have realised she was meant for a career behind the camera instead of in front of it. But back to Part II, it is a stunning piece of cinema and deserving of its Oscar win, the only sequel to ever win a Best Picture prize. Hell, I think it's the only sequel nominated for a Best Picture prize. I'm too lazy to actually research that and find out, but I can't think of any others.


Dame James Henry said...

Broadway Melody of 1936 is another sequel Best Pic nominee, off the top of my head.

I may get booed for this, but I feel that Part II is kinda overrated. I don't really have any stunning defense of that since I haven't seen it in a few years, but I remember I was vaguely bored throughout the entire movie. It definitely didn't move in the same way the first one did. I did think that De Niro and John Cazale were excellent, though.

Chris said...

The Two Towers? Return of the King, anyone?

Glenn said...

To quote Randy from Scream 2: Part of a trilogy so not technically sequels.

Yes. That's my defence for stupidly forgetting those movies and I'm sticking to it!