Thursday, March 26, 2009

4 Days 'til NYC: 42nd Street

In anticipation for my trip to New York City I will be counting down with some of my NYC movies (and even some that I don't like just for a change of pace). Hope you all enjoy.


One of - if not the - quintessential movies about Broadway. Lloyd Bacon's movie is famous for many reasons, but mostly for the choreography of Busby Berkeley who would go on to make his own famous films such as the Golddiggers films. It features on the oldest stories in the book (young girl who wants to be a star gets cast in the lead role of a big musical, etc) but tells it so well. And, yes, it helps that the musical numbers - the big Broadway production at films' end - are so well done (even if watching them from the audience would be completely boring since they don't have tunnel-vision), Bacon knew how to film them well. They even modeled the movie poster after the iconic leg tunnel sequence.

However, it is the very final few moments that make this movie great to me. You have to see them to know what I mean, but it adds a bit of a bittersweet feeling to the proceedings.

No comments: