Monday, March 2, 2009

28 Days 'til NYC: Spider-Man 2

In anticipation for my trip to New York City I will be counting down with some of my NYC movies (and even some that I don't like just for a change of pace). Hope you all enjoy.


I feel a bit sorry for Spider-Man 2 these days. I feel quite alone in my belief that Sam Raimi's film was and STILL IS the best superhero movie ever made. Hell, I don't even think The Dark Knight is the best "Batman" film, let alone the best superhero movie, but such it is that The Dark Knight is now the title-holder of such a claim to most people. Such is life.

I, however, will continue to burn the flame for Spider-Man 2 - the only film in the trilogy that I think is any better than "good" (that'd be the original). And it is so far and beyond better than the third installment that it hurts. Man, how bad was Spider-Man 3? Answer: Very. I watched this film three times in one day, actually. True. I bought it on DVD and watched it when I got home. Then I watched it that evening when a friend came over and I watch it again when said friend had gone home. I was a little obsessed.

Everything this movie has to offer is the height of its genre. Granted, it would be nice to see a director take on one of these superhero movies that actually knows how to choreograph an action set piece with the clarity and, well, the awesomeness of James Cameron (a major reason why I'm anticipating Avatar), but it's still a hoot to watch. One of the film's most surprising aspects is actually it's cinematography. From the sunny New York City represented to the blissful odes to comic book paneling (that Doc Ock hospital sequence!)

The others can have The Dark Knight and I'll keep Spider-Man 2.

10 comments:

Chris said...

Leave me some of that Spider-Man 2 cake, please, The Dark Knight's got a horrible aftertaste.

I actually agree with you that SM2 is the best superhero film, and The Dark Knight not even the best Batman film. However I think the first Spider-Man was amazing.

FranklinBluth said...

So, which 'Batman' film is numero uno?

Glenn said...

Returns, duh :)

Glenn said...

Chris, but the Spider-Man 2 cake is so delicious. I want it all for MYSELF!

Dame James Henry said...

I could barely stomach the first Spider-Man so I'm really skeptical that I would even partly enjoy number 2.

FranklinBluth said...

Is Returns no.1 purely because of La Pfeiffer?

Glenn said...

She's a large part of it - One of the five best performances of the 1990s - but I also love Burton's Batman universe more than any other. I'm not a big fan of his original, but the sequel just got everything right (much like I'm not a fat of Spider-Man, but the sequel was perfect). Everything.

It really is a stunner in my eyes.

But, yeah, The Pfeiff is pfuckin' pfantastic in it.

richardwatts said...

I'm with you on the love for Batman Returns and the disdain for The Dark Knight, and definitely with you on the real badness of Spider-Man 3, but as much as I love some elements of Spider-Man 2 (oh, the comic book goodness of that Doc Oc operating theatre scene!) I find too much of the film clones the strengths of the first Spider-Man movie: especially the sequence on the train, which was so similar to the first film's bridge scene that it hurt...

NATHANIEL R said...

easily the best for me too but you know that since it was my #2 of 2004.

i think it comes down to people having trouble respecting things that are "fun". DARK KNIGHT is serious and therefore for most people "best" (it isn't just the Oscars that have trouble equating serious with best)

...but SPIDER-MAN 2 is super fun, colorful and absolutely a comic book come to life as cinema... therefore the best for me.

Kamikaze Camel said...

Richard, no disdain for Dark Knight here, I just prefer Spider-Man 2 without reservations.