Wednesday, March 4, 2009

26 Days 'til NYC: Rope

In anticipation for my trip to New York City I will be counting down with some of my NYC movies (and even some that I don't like just for a change of pace). Hope you all enjoy.

This famed movie by Alfred Hitchcock features New York City prominently despite never leaving the confines of an apartment. Almost as if standing atop a high rise building in the city itself, the camera observes dusk falling over the city as with it the lights of buildings lighting up to dot the skyline. It's an obvious visual conceit but a good one nonetheless. Necessary too, I would add, because otherwise Rope is far from the most visually dazzling movie, despite it's - at the time - famed filming technique. A view today does not have to look very hard to notice how Hitchcock manages to make a movie in "one take" so the eyes focus is routinely taken elsewhere. Even the Hollywood manufactured matte background that represents New York City is gorgeous, imagine what it could look like today if it was remade (or, better yet, let's not even go there).

I have always wondered if in all Manhattan apartments it is written into the building codes and laws that they must all have a feature window that looks out towards the city. I notice it a lot. Although, in all honestly, if I had the chance of looking at a brick wall or the New York City skyline I think we all know what I would choose (as would everybody, surely).

No comments: