Thursday, March 5, 2009

25 Days 'til NYC: Sex and the City: The Movie

In anticipation for my trip to New York City I will be counting down with some of my NYC movies (and even some that I don't like just for a change of pace). Hope you all enjoy.

Quintessentially New York, whether New Yorkers like it or not (predominantly single women whose lives do not mirror that of the show's characters that is), Sex and the City was such a favourite of mine when it was on air and continued to be in continuous reruns. The movie came around last year and I loved it. Yeah, I know. It's terrible, it's awful, it's the worst movie of all time. A lot of the people who wrote those sort of reviews were either a) straight males, and/or b) not fans of the TV series either. Of course hundreds of mindless sex comedies aimed at men are released yearly and not one of them will receive the level of vitriol that Sex and the City: The Movie received (or, stuff like Bride Wars, He's Just Not That Into You, etc). It's not hard to see why. Nobody makes a fuss that movies like (and I'm picking some titles out of thin air here) Sex Drive, College or Waiting (wow, they came easily. Scary) are cheap pointless movies that not even men like (at least that's what the box office tells me), and yet Sex and the City: The Movie comes along and it's akin to the Antichrist.

I. Will. Never. Understand.

Well, I mean, I understand in a general sexist way, but not what's going on in their mind. Paul Blart becomes a huge money-maker but it's seen as "harmless fun". Sex and the City: The Movie becomes a hit and people are out for blood. And I'm not even going to get into the matter of men basically calling their wives/girlfriends idiots when this movie came out and they just had to be bitches and like it instead of wanting to go see Iron Man again. I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way because it was quite blatantly obvious.

My DVD purchasing has been nonexistent for the better half of a year now (I only buy TV shows nowadays - better value), but if I was to buy some 2008 films on DVD this would be one of them. As deplorable as it apparently is, I'd probably find myself wanting to watch this again before any of the Best Picture nominees (well, except for Milk), that's for sure.


Joshua said...

Are you planning on seeing any Broadway shows in NYC?

Glenn said...

Yes. Not sure what though.

Joshua said...

I'm planning on visiting NYC with my father soon. I'm for sure seeing West Side Story, the 9 to 5 musical, and 33 Variations w/ Jane Fonda.

I'm also interested in checking out Blithe Spirit, Hair, Exit the King, August: Osage County and reasons to be pretty.

Try to get tickets for whatever you want to see early, if possible.

Lots of information here: