Friday, March 6, 2009

24 Days 'til NYC: How to Marry a Millionaire

In anticipation for my trip to New York City I will be counting down with some of my NYC movies (and even some that I don't like just for a change of pace). Hope you all enjoy.


My affection for this 1953 comedy starring Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall and Betty Grable can be boiled down to these one-liners (and many others just like it:

~~

Schatze Page: I was nuts about him. Know what he did to me. First he gave me a phony name. Second, he was already married. Third, the minute the prayer said amen, he never did any work. Then he stole my TV set. I asked him about it and he hit me with a chicken.
Pola Debevoise: A live chicken?
Schatze Page: No, baked and stuffed.

~~
Loco Dempsey: I wouldn't mind marrying a Vanderbilt?
Pola Debevoise: Or Mr. Cadillac.
Schatze Page: No such person. I checked.
Loco Dempsey: Is there a Mr. Texaco?

~~

Schatze Page: Look at Roosevelt, look at Churchill, look at old fella what's his name in The African Queen.

2 comments:

Adrik said...

possibly one of the greatest films EVER :D

Ben Rylan said...

This is one of the best films I have ever seen. Truly the perfect romantic comedy, no doubts at all! I love it when Betty Brable is dreaming of a hamburger, and when Lauren Bacall is picking out the jewelery ("I'll have that and that, and that and that and that and that... and charge it!") and of-course when the doorman tries to make conversation with Bacall, only to be met with "bye now". OMG, I'm getting carried away.

Did you know Nicole Kidman bought the rights for a remake? Hmmm...