Monday, March 9, 2009

21 Days 'til NYC: Man on Wire

In anticipation for my trip to New York City I will be counting down with some of my NYC movies (and even some that I don't like just for a change of pace). Hope you all enjoy.


This year's winner of the Best Documentary Academy Award instantly carved itself a spot in the annals of classic New York Cinema upon it's release. Sounding much more like a fantasy movie than the basis of a documentary, this film about famed tightrope walker Phillipe Petit is such a joy to behold. Petit himself is a complete and utter charmer, whether passages in the film about his wife turn you off him momentarily or not.

The act itself - walking across the tightrope between the two World Trade Center towers in the 1970s - is a marvel to watch. I actually forgot that the movie's grand climax isn't actually filmed, but is instead represented by still photographs. It's that well done and you will barely notice. I like to imagine that as Petit was doing his famous walk between the towers some iconic New York director like Woody Allen or Martin Scorsese was making their own piece of history on the footpaths of the island below.

No comments: