Tuesday, March 10, 2009

20 Days 'til NYC: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

In anticipation for my trip to New York City I will be counting down with some of my NYC movies (and even some that I don't like just for a change of pace). Hope you all enjoy.

An expensive special effects-laden sci-fi action movie starring Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie sounds sort of like a slam dunk, doesn't it? However, much maligned and going down as a big ol' flop is Kenny Conran's Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. And yet, lo and behold, here I am defending it. I adore it's futuristic circa retro vibe that feels like it was made on a really super high-tech computer in the '80s. I love Angelina Jolie in her eye-patch (one of her finest performances and she's barely on screen for 10 minutes). I even enjoy Law and Paltrow, who both received a shellacking upon release. I'm glad Paltrow finally found the right sci-fi action vehicle for her four years later in the form of Iron Man. I so want her to be around more often, don't you?

Visually I think the movie is great and much was made at the time of it's filmmaking technique (all filmed on green screen), although it has been seemingly forgotten since the arrival of movies like 300 and Sin City, even though Sky Captain does it better, and was a fine example of amazing art direction through the use of computers, something which is becoming more and more prevalent and even Oscar-nominated.


Ben Rylan said...

Hey, I love this film too! But are you aware that a significant part of the film is a 100% rip-off of an old Superman cartoon from the 1930s? Watch a Superman short called "The Mechanical Monsters" on You Tube, and tell me your thoughts (it's a hoot). For an even more obvious example of the similarities, watch the original Sky Captain short on the DVD.

Nothing wrong with seeking inspiration this way, but they make no mention of the cartoon in the "making of", leading me to think they're trying to pretend it was a coincidence. Me thinks not.

Dame James Henry said...

"I so want her to be around more often, don't you?"

Ummmm....no, not really. I think it's bad enough we have to deal with Gwyneth whenever she decides to "grace" the screen with her presence.

Dave said...

This movie gets such a bad press it actually hurts me. Glad to see someone who isn't me defending it.