Saturday, March 28, 2009

2 Days 'til NYC: All That Jazz

In anticipation for my trip to New York City I will be counting down with some of my NYC movies (and even some that I don't like just for a change of pace). Hope you all enjoy.


The best movie I have seen in my admittedly quite short and limited life. I would like to think that something will eventually come along - whether it be new or an oldie I have yet to discover - that will dethrone it, but I have such strong personal feelings towards Bob Fosse's All That Jazz that I don't think it's possible (and I almost don't want it to as I've become quite attached to this movie.)

Why I didn't choose to use it as #1 will become obvious when you see what title I did use - it's obvious really. But Fosse's movie is immaculate on every single level. I have long wanted to do a big long proper essay-like review on the title discussing it's many brilliant facets, but whenever I try to sit down and write about it the words just fail me. It's almost as if this movie renders me unable to function.

When I initially watched it - it was one of only two movies I've ever bought on DVD before even seeing it - I really liked it, but it was far from anywhere close to attaining the stature it holds with me today. No, it took another viewing - the same day I rewatched Fosse's Cabaret, another title I wasn't as taken with on first viewing - to really allow the movie to click within my mind. A big screen viewing at ACMI made me really sit up and seriously consider it amongst the other titles I bandied about as my #1. Multiple DVD viewings later and I thought there was no sense debating it anymore. It was my favourite and it remains so to this very day.

No comments: