Thursday, March 12, 2009

18 Days 'til NYC: Ghostbusters

In anticipation for my trip to New York City I will be counting down with some of my NYC movies (and even some that I don't like just for a change of pace). Hope you all enjoy.

Do I even have to say anything about Ivan Reitman's Ghostbusters? Because I honest-to-god don't think anything I say would be useful, here is Ray Parker Jr's "Ghostbusters" theme song. Oh sure, it blatantly rips off Huey Lewis and the News' "I Want a New Drug", but what ya gonna do (or, more apt, who ya gonna call?)?

As an aside, can I just mention how disappointing it is that movies don't seem to want to make these sort of film-enhancing pop songs anymore. There was a whole rash of them in the '80s. Think "Fame", "Flashdance... What a Feeling", "Footloose" or, yes, "Ghostbusters" and many many others. It changed in the late '90s/early '00s when big film ballads took centre stage, but now you're lucky if a soundtrack produces one hit at all that is strongly linked to the movie (that part is key). I mean, let's face it, most people who like Flo-Rida's "Low" probably didn't even notice or care that it was in Step Up 2 the Streets and both would exist just as well without the other. We need to bring back "Theme from [movie title]" song titles too, really. How fabulously retro, no? Where was "His Name is Hancock!" by Beyonce, or "Iron Time" by Sam Sparro?

It really does boggle the mind that in this time of movie studios wondering "HOW DO WE GET PEOPLE TO SEE OUR MOVIE AND MAKE MONEY?!?" they haven't gone back to classic original soundtracks filled with songs that people would want to own. Not only do you get advertising during every music program on the box, but you also earn some extra cash from soundtrack sales. Or are the Juno producers really that much smarter than I give them credit for? And we've all seen what the High School Musical and Twilight soundtracks have sold like. Surely that's just more money in the coffers. It all relates back to what I wrote about the other day as a matter of fact.

Of course, it's giving the Academy too much credit too to truly believe they'd nominate these sort of songs if they were produced.


Ben Rylan said...

Oooooh, we had "Independant Women" or whatever that song by Destiny's Child was called, from Charlie's Angels. That was a while ago, and I thought the song was rubbish. But it exists. Pink did one for the sequel too; less rubbishy, but not really great. I get your point though; movies and music have become angry divorcees. A reunion is in order.

Glenn said...

Ooh, I liked that Charlie's Angels song, but the Pink one... I remember liking it, but it felt more like a song just being added to the soundtrack and not trying to make a song that can be seen as a "theme" to said movie.

maya said...

was lady marmalade used in the moulin rouge film?

Ive heard throught the grapvine that ray parker jnr is planning on re-releasing the song again...

I found a link on youtube that pretty much confirms it

Glenn said...

It was, yes, and look how well that soundtrack did! Absolutely huge! I'm sure that make a bit of extra change for the studio.