Saturday, March 14, 2009

16 Days 'til NYC: Funny Girl

In anticipation for my trip to New York City I will be counting down with some of my NYC movies (and even some that I don't like just for a change of pace). Hope you all enjoy.


I have never been a big ol' fan of Barbra Streisand's musical career outside of her soundtrack work and some of her '80s stuff (hello "Left in the Dark" and "Woman in Love"), but as an actress? I am devoted. I even think she's great in her self-directed Prince of Tides.

Without a doubt her strongest performance was also her debut, Funny Girl. Directed by William Wyler - still the record holder for the director whose filmography has been awarded the most acting nominations and wins of all time - it is a screen adaptation of the stage show that Streisand also starred in. To say it's a great performance by Babs is to not give it justice. It is a flat out stunning performance and one that most definitely ranks in the highest echelon of Best Actress winners. I'd rank it right next to Vivien Leigh's twin wins as a matter of fact. It's sad then that whenever I express my admiration for the performance to people who have not seen the movie I get looks of "yeah, okay, it's Barbra Streisand. She sucks", or "it's just because you're gay."

Alas, I was skeptical too at first, but, no, there it was in all of its glory. After watching Funny Girl I was hooked. I have the soundtrack on my iPod and it's one of those performances that I am constantly comparing others too. It's a marvel and truly wonderful. If you haven't seen it then do yourself a favour and see it. Even if you're not a Streisand fan you'll find yourself instantly hooked. And, hey, if not instantly then just waiting until "People", the moment to which the screencap above is from. If that song doesn't get you then I'm afraid you're a lost cause.

5 comments:

Dame James Henry said...

There really is no one like Babs, is there? I simply do not understand how people can not like her as an actress; she could do everything from musicals (I agree that Funny Girl is definitely one of the top 5 Best Actress wins ever) and dramas (The Way We Were) to comedies (The Owl and the Pussycat and What's Up, Doc?) and even camp (have you seen Nuts, where she plays a high-class prostitute charged with murdering a client?). Blurg, I wish she would come out of retirement to act in something again- Meet the Fockers just wasn't enough me

par3182 said...

to be fair, i think it's partly because we're gay...

i wish she'd won again for 'the way we were'

Glenn said...

Oh, tell me 'bout it! She was simply epic in The Way We Were and yet they gave it to... Glenda Jackson for A Touch of Class? Yikes. Jackson who, might I add, was at neither of the ceremonies at which she won. Ungrateful much?

par3182 said...

although glenda jackson's disdain was a huge part of her appeal

Cleo said...

Here's a New Yorker currently doing videos about self love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz9RNNhWCNQ
Its a valentine to herself! Lol