Sunday, March 29, 2009

1 Day 'til NYC: Manhattan

In anticipation for my trip to New York City I will be counting down with some of my NYC movies (and even some that I don't like just for a change of pace). Hope you all enjoy.


I chose Woody Allen's Manhattan to represent this day because isn't it the most iconic movie about New York? Woody Allen himself has made a lot of NY Movies and some like Annie Hall (or the i-like-it-more-than-most Manhattan Murder Mystery) would have been a fine choice, but Manhattan is, for this writer at least, the be all end all of Woody Allen. If he only ever made this one movie then I would still consider him a master. It also helps that this one image is so incredibly iconic too. It's a shame the bench isn't there anymore. Whose bright idea was it to get rid of that?

What was it about 1979, too? Not only was this title release that year, but Fosse's All That Jazz, which I discussed yesterday, was released too. Two of my "all time" "top ten" films (quotation marks to identify that I am quite aware I haven't seen anywhere near enough movies to make a well-rounded list) from the same year and both about the city of New York? How incredibly bizarre, but delightfully so.

Now, as this is the last entry in this little series that means I head off tomorrow. However, don't go thinking you can just erase Stale Popcorn off of your daily internet travels. No siree. I have scheduled a few things to pop up while I'm gone. There are some NYC-related music entries, "This Week on Australian Screens" for both weekends that I'm away, a couple of reviews (although as of writing this they are incomplete so maybe don't hold me to this) and a scattering of other pieces here or there.

I return to Australian soil on 12 April at which point I'm sure I'll have an image or a tale or two to share and I hope you're still around to enjoy.

Caio!

2 comments:

seanisbored said...

G'luck in NYC!

richardwatts said...

Have a fantastic, eventful and memorable trip!